Development Log for Magic Pixel, a game maker using Love2d

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Xii
Party member

Re: Development Log for Magic Pixel, a game maker using Love2d

Post by Xii »

pauljessup wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:03 am Every single thing I say, you're going to want to turn it into an argument. [...] you're just wanting to argue for the sake or arguing.
Every single thing you say that's wrong, yeah, I'm going to correct you. Especially if your statement is simply a baseless claim that my correction is wrong. Which is pretty much all you've been doing. "That's not programmer art", you say, "that's just placeholder", you say, repeatedly, never acknowledging the contents of my arguments, always getting stuck on some "choise of words" that in your mind apparently makes me an adversary with a vendetta whose only mission in life is to troll you.

Then you toss your hands in the air, declare your intent to ignore the discussion, and then the very next second nevertheless continue it, only inviting more frustration and ridicule on your part. How many times we gonna go around in circles until you admit that:

1. "Programmer art" is a widely-recognized technical term in video game development communities that literally means "placeholder graphics",
  2. Your placeholder graphics are therefore an instance of "programmer art".

When you agree to these points then we agree on the contents of the discussion. If you disagree on a given point, please include an actual argument for why the point is incorrect. Please refrain from replying to any percieved tone in my request and just reply to the request itself.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Xii wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:41 pm
pauljessup wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:03 am Every single thing I say, you're going to want to turn it into an argument. [...] you're just wanting to argue for the sake or arguing.
Every single thing you say that's wrong, yeah, I'm going to correct you. Especially if your statement is simply a baseless claim that my correction is wrong. Which is pretty much all you've been doing. "That's not programmer art", you say, "that's just placeholder", you say, repeatedly, never acknowledging the contents of my arguments, always getting stuck on some "choise of words" that in your mind apparently makes me an adversary with a vendetta whose only mission in life is to troll you.

Then you toss your hands in the air, declare your intent to ignore the discussion, and then the very next second nevertheless continue it, only inviting more frustration and ridicule on your part. How many times we gonna go around in circles until you admit that:

1. "Programmer art" is a widely-recognized technical term in video game development communities that literally means "placeholder graphics",
  2. Your placeholder graphics are therefore an instance of "programmer art".

When you agree to these points then we agree on the contents of the discussion. If you disagree on a given point, please include an actual argument for why the point is incorrect. Please refrain from replying to any percieved tone in my request and just reply to the request itself.
I guess your takeaway from all this should be: even if you are right, no one cares about technical/terminological correctness.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Does...does he have a Wikipedia page or different person?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Jessup_(writer)
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
Hugues Ross
Citizen

Post by Hugues Ross »

I have an irl gamedev friend named Robert Jordan (no relation to the author), but I checked the link and yeah I think in this case it's the same guy! At the very least, the website link on that page lists a couple of game projects including this one.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

http://greybeard.games is pauljessup's personal games site (he has other stuff if you search). He's also got an Itch page which lists Magic Pixel among other creations: https://greybeardgames.itch.io
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Yup, that's me!

I still have to update the new webpage and get all of my short stories and stuff on there.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

pauljessup wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:10 pm Yup, that's me!

I still have to update the new webpage and get all of my short stories and stuff on there.
Hmm, seems I can't PM you.
Hey, man. Why not ... erm...continue posting here.
I like seeing the progress of things that are actually going somewhere. :3
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

I wil, eventually! Just doing my devlog on itch for now. Refactoring things at the moment, rebuilding the gui and stuff because it was a mess. Also, thinking of just focusing on Action style JRPG games, since no one else really has a game maker for that kind of thing atm. Like the Mana games, that kind of thing (Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Sword of Mana, etc)
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

If this became a graphical Megazeux, I'd be so happy!
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Oh yeah! That would be cool if it ends up being like that! here's hoping