Development Log for Magic Pixel, a game maker using Love2d

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Some thoughts on a GB Studio style development environment for Love and Lua...

Post by GVovkiv »

Nikki wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:08 pm Do you remember klik and play ?
I sort of think an 'event editor' / 'excel based programming' kinda solution would be helpful in a thing like this.

its bigger brother MMF

anyway, cool project! will follow your advancements.
Or clickteam fusion, hehe
pauljessup
Party member

Re: Some thoughts on a GB Studio style development environment for Love and Lua...

Post by pauljessup »

Naw, sadly. Never used Klik N' Play or Klik Team fusion...I got my start doing video games in Qbasic...I learned it in a class in HS, went on the internet at the local library, and found a huge community of people making SNES style RPG's. I skipped over using any game makers or engines and went deep into the erm...fun stuff?

LOL.

That might be interesting- I was thinking about GB Studio's approach, which seems simpler than RPGMakers to code as a front end for an IDE. I know with the lua scripting and plugins it's going to use hook functions to keep the overhead low and quick. And I think I might be able to do something like that in a visual editor (like you select an action and you chose a response or something?)...maybe!

That's the part that's kind of has me going "my god what have I gotten myself into", the whole idea of a visual scripting interface. The plugins already work, and scripting character interactions are great. I can easily get Yarn to work with it, too. I've done that.

Do you have a link to someplace explaining the Klick Team way of doing it? If not I'll google it after work later.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Some more progress...
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.27.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.27.11 AM.png (207.11 KiB) Viewed 9482 times
A lot of work on this lately is remembering a lot of what I did 5 or so years ago for the green tea map editor I worked on way back then, and the way I handled GUI and IDE stuff. I've learned a lot since then...but damn, some things I'd forgotten that I'm going to have to put back into this. Like an undo stack, for example.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Also, since I decided not to use a built in map editor, or force you to use something like TileD, the game creator has a ton of flixibility. It's just images loaded as backgrounds, positioned to the camera. Which means...if you want tiled maps, you can use something like TileD and export the map to png and load it. OR you can do painted backgrounds or scenes, and load those in. OR you could pre-render a background and do something like the Playstation Final Fantasy's...

In fact, with a plugin I easily see an FF7/8/9 style game being possible. The plugin would just load and scale a sprite differently depending on the camera angle of the scene. You drop in your prerendered graphics, and blammo.

There you go.

The full 3d combat, OTOH, would be a different story and not possible. BUTTTT you could do pre-rendered 3d models combined with a Golden Sun layout for the battle and it would be really damned close to a PSX final fantasy.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Some more work on it...easy to use lighting per scene, each layer can be set to parallax scroll in various different ways, and object types can be defined and extended through plugin scripting...each layer has it's own object list and collision list, so you can do A link to the past style multi-layer dungeons...

My goal is the paradox- simplicity and extensibility. I think it might be possible though

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 9.35.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 9.35.46 AM.png (225.42 KiB) Viewed 9246 times
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 9.36.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 9.36.14 AM.png (217.92 KiB) Viewed 9246 times
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 11.05.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 11.05.26 AM.png (196.62 KiB) Viewed 9246 times
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

This looks really dope & usable.

Is this supposed to be a all-in-one game creator like game maker studio but made with LÖVE?

I love editors for games in general - whenever possible I'll try to add some sort of editor e.g for tile maps into my game projects.
Personally I'd want to see a plug-and-play editor for LÖVE projects that can be extended and modified e.g by plugins to match the needs of the game developer (thinking a bit in the direction of Atom as a IDE if you will), handling maps, objects, collisions, scripts etc. and having a way to script some parts of the gui make it's appearance match the rest of the game (talking just about pixel art games here).

For LOVE and tile-based games the only option I can think of for some functionality like that is to use STI (Tiled-loader), which is super cool but doesn't even have a GUI or an in-game editor since it loads exports from the standalone tiled editor, which imo is very functional but outdated.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Not all in one, this is going to focus more on RPG style games. Originally I was going to do all in one, but decided against it. This doesn't have a built in tile editor, on purpose. I was using GB Studio, and I realized the benefit of their method- using images as backgrounds to layers. That way, if someone wants to do a water color background ala Legend of Mana or SaGa Frontier 2 it's easy to do. Or if you want to use pre-rendered 3d backgrounds like FF7,8, or 9, you can!

And if you want to use a Tile Engine, you can used TileD or Asesprite's tile map editor and export to PNG. For awhile I thought about using STI, and it was doable, but I think very limiting. I also built my own in game tile map editor in Love a few years ago called Green Tea. Most of the GUI elements I 'm using here are actually from that system (that was going to be my first attempt at something like this)...

But once I started realizing the power of not forcing a tile map interface, I decided to stick with this. It's more versatile, that way

(in case you're interested, here's that map editor. It's also open source, but I need to update the examples, since that dropbox link is dead. It's also updated to work with Love2d 11...sadly, it only works as an in game map editor now, and not stand alone:
https://github.com/pauljessup/greentea
)
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

oh, and yes, the collision is a sort of Tile based collision of 8x8 grids. Actual objects though can be placed anywhere, and not forced into a grid. That's just for layer based collision backgrounds
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

GVovkiv wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:27 pm Or clickteam fusion, hehe
Just saw this...heheh :megagrin:
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Okay, I finished setting up the ways you can drop objects and events, as well as refined the plugin system to make it really simple to extend it. I then integrated it with Luven to create a real straight forward and simple way to add lights to your RPG.

Slowly but surely it lurches along...
Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.10.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.10.09 AM.png (365.78 KiB) Viewed 6877 times