Hot Particles - particle editor

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Sammm
Prole

Re: Hot Particles - particle editor

Post by Sammm »

I just saw this and it looks really cool, but when I downloaded the folder with the .love file and try to run it (I'm using Debian Linux 11), I get this error:
Screenshot 2022-10-03 9.49.57 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-10-03 9.49.57 AM.png (80.51 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
This is really disappointing, as I would love to use this tool. Do you know what's causing the problem? Thanks!
Lua is LÖVE, lua is life
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

I'm on the latest Linux Mint, and the "universal" (love) version works just fine for me.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

ISTR that's related to having luajit linked dynamically It's trying to find the symbol in libluajit-5.1.so.2 but it should try to find it in liblove.so.

You could try patching it to load liblove.so from the path where it is located; that also means changing every appearance of ffi.C to ffi.<module name>.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

@Sammm
Unfortunately I'm a bit of a Linux noob. It could be a LÖVE installation issue. Check out this thread where they encountered the same kind of error.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

If PhysFS is dynamically linked, löve might link to the wrong version of it, that may cause issues like that.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
premek
Prole

Post by premek »

had the same issue with on debian. Love compiled from source works fine
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

The downloads don't work for me so I've had to compile it from source, and it was a challenge. Compiling gloa.lua was easy because there was a build.lua that handled everything, but using Glóa to build Hot Particles was troublesome.

Issuing `lua ../Gloa/gloa.lua src/build.gloa` resulted in this error:

Code: Select all

Error @ src/build.gloa:27: [Typer] Could not read file 'src/src/shared.gloa' or 'src/src/shared/shared.gloa'.
Changing to src and trying to compile with `lua ../../Gloa/gloa.lua build.gloa` resulted in a similar error:

Error @ build.gloa:27: [Typer] Could not read file './src/shared.gloa' or './src/shared/shared.gloa'.
Copying build.gloa to the repository root and running `lua ../Gloa/gloa.lua build.gloa` resulted in a different file causing problems:

Error @ src/main.gloa:60: [Typer] Could not read file 'src/src/guiSetup.gloa' or 'src/src/guiSetup/guiSetup.gloa'.
I finally managed to compile by executing `ln -s . src/src` so that src/, src/src/, src/src/src/ etc. are all the same directory.

Could you include build instructions?

Oh and in the end I had main.lua and conf.lua in the src directory, but they can't be run from there so I had to make soft links to them from the root of the repo. Also a required file was missing, gfx/appIcon32.png.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I've finally checked the Debian issue, and I think it's unfixable unless Debian changes the packaging. They are NOT including liblove, and the love executable seems to embed PhysFS but without any symbols whatsoever. That makes it impossible to access PHYSFS_* via FFI by any means.

Short repro:

local ffi = require'ffi'
ffi.cdef("bool PHYSFS_unmount(const char *path);")
ffi.C.PHYSFS_unmount("xyz")
fails with "libluajit-5.1.so.2: undefined symbol: PHYSFS_unmount". This works fine in my self-compiled Löve, but in my case `nm -D /path/to/love | grep PHYSFS_unmount` displays one result while on the Debian package version it doesn't.

I think the only fix will be to update it to 12.x when it's out.
premek
Prole

Post by premek »

is it a debian bug? should we report it?
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I tend to think of it as a bug, because it prevents FFI programs from accessing the libraries provided by Löve.