My Adventure Game Engine - Making Way For Adventure Engine 2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: My Zelda style adventure engine (DEMO NOW AVAILABLE)

Post by bartbes »

Mario.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

32x32 seems allright for link.
When I write def I mean function.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

16x32 is good enough for any standard 16-bit era character. Most didn't even use that much. Mario in his Super form used 16x32 in the original Super Mario Bros. And 16x16 for his normal state. Link doesn't take the whole 32x32 for his normal frames, but when he does other things that space is useful. I will be using the same concept. Where the characters normal state is 16x32 (A little less than 32 actually) but has 8 pixels on both sides for freedom of movement and different actions.

I need to rethink my whole mapping system. Right now the map is a grid of 16x16 pixel tiles. Trees are tiles. Houses are tiles. Everything is a tile. Things that are bigger than 16x16 needs to be placed in pieces. I want to redo this to act more like a more modern engine where the tiled background can be populated by larger objects like trees that take up 96x128 tiles if they have to and I don't have to worry about building each one piece by piece. If I do this I'll be able to save FPS by dropping two or three of my "decoration" layers and replace them with a single "objects" loop that handles drawing of larger things. Plus, if I implement an object system, I'll be able to change their values (Like change a tree from normal to cut down by changing a single value) and position (Like a moving car) at runtime. This way I'd even be able to keep my tiles sheet separate from my objects sheet. And objects would be defined at runtime as to where on the sheet they lie and how big they are on the sheet. (i.e. a Tree will be at coordinates 0,0 and will be 96 pixels wide by 128 pixels high.) Plus objects could have z-indexes so things at the bottom are in front of the ones nearer the top.

A lot of work lies ahead I'll tell you that much. Too bad I don't have a lot of free time.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: [Reply]The Cute-y Dimension

Post by Jasoco »

rhezalouis wrote:Uhmm, btw, is is really possible to fit a visually distinguishable character inside a 16x16pixel-square? See this guy (double-scaled for visibility):
my16x2.png
NES and Game Boy Link say yes.
makah
Prole

Post by makah »

I Cant play this game
I got an error in:

main.lua (line 1)
love.filesystem.require( "weather.lua" )

Error:
main.lua:1: Attempt to call field ´require´ (a nil value)
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Sounds like you need a newer version of LOVE.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Luiji wrote:Sounds like you need a newer version of LOVE.
Sounds like makah needs an older version of LÖVE, or a newer version of the demo.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

So I am to understand that love.filesystem.require has been deprecated?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It has been removed.

EDIT: In favor of require()
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I've been working on some technologies to work into my game engine with all these side projects I've been doing. Like my experimentations with the Physics module and my 3D project. All tech demos for my main project which is this one. And at this point I still don't know what the game is going to be about. I hope it will have puzzles as well as a long story and large world to play around in.

Recently I've been working on a new logo that would show at the start. "Jasoco Presents". I think I have something pretty neat. (0.6.2)
JasocoLogo.love
(30.99 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
It's based on physics. I like it. You can run it from the command line to see console printing.

The intro would play, then fade from white to the game or menu slowly for atmosphere and mood.

I'm also thinking of using the 3D for the logo too. Maybe have a 3D rendered logo attached to the 2D physics. Who knows. This is just the intro of course.

I am thinking of also using physics for the menu. But I also have a different plan for the menu in that the game would start right up into the game, and the menu would be accessible from Esc or something. Instead of showing a title screen. It would be like Braid where the game just went right into the currently saved game, and you could start over from the menu or whatever. I think it would be pretty neat using that method. 3D could be used for other things too, like in Link to the Past, 3D was use for the Triforce at the start and for the crystals with the 7 maidens trapped inside. Maybe I could make 3D rotating hearts for health or something. Depends on what I end up doing.

As usual, nothing you see now is final. And I will upload a current snapshot of the engine I have so far sometime in the near future since everyone seems confused as to the current alpha/demo. So I will put one up for you all to play with. When I get time. And when I finish overhauling the menuing system since I'm too far into it to put it up now.