Slab - An Immediate Mode GUI Library In Lua

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: Slab - An Immediate Mode GUI Library In Lua

Post by yetneverdone »

Well you can fork it, fix it yourself, then make a PR. Though i doubt that the maintainer will see it and merge it as the dev's been inactive for a long time. You can PR to my fork and I'll merge that if you want.

Slab, and other Immediate mode GUI, can be easily understood. you just need to add that `BorderWidth` to the table option for `BeginWindow` and then find the draw function where the window is rendered and use it there, find the `EndWindow` part and reset the `setLineWidth` to `1`.

I would like to add that but at the moment im busy with other things.
coding.jackalope
Prole

Post by coding.jackalope »

Slab v0.8.0

Hello everyone. Version 0.8.0 has been released. This release adds new features as well as addressing issues reported since the last release. Thanks to the many contributions from the community which have been merged in as well.

Unfortunately, I will no longer able to update this project due to time constraints. I am reaching out to the community here to see if anyone would like to take ownership of the Slab Github project moving forward. If you are interested, let me know and we can organize the transfer through Github.

Many thanks to the community for all of their positive feedback and comments as well as their contributions to the project.
alejandroalzate
Citizen

Post by alejandroalzate »

Damn u gonna be kindding me exist a background color function?! :death:
I was making a square with the same size of the Window approach that :cry:

Code: Select all

target = boardIndex.getWhosPeekingThisLine()
target:setObey(true)
mozt
Prole

Post by mozt »

very nice a job
:awesome: Bon appetite
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

Hi everyone, I am the new maintainer of Slab, here to announce the latest release v0.9.0!

https://github.com/flamendless/Slab/releases/tag/v0.9.0
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

yetneverdone wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:47 am Hi everyone, I am the new maintainer of Slab, here to announce the latest release v0.9.0!
I want to like this lib, I really do. But there's several issues that keep me from using it. The top three being:

- Clicks get dropped when the app runs slow. This makes the lib unfit for use in released projects.
- Even the simple default demo generates megabytes of garbage per second, when idle and with basically nothing on screen. Thoughtless use of tables and string ops throughout the code.
- Visually unappealing, and lack of styling options.

I can help with these issues, but some of the changes would result in some pretty huge PRs. I also have an idea for a novel and flexible, yet pretty simple approach to styles that I always wanted to implement in my own UI lib (that I never made). Hit me up if you're interested.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

Hi there,
- Clicks get dropped when the app runs slow. This makes the lib unfit for use in released projects.
Oh so this is indeed a bug. I also notice this on my quite large game but didnt realize it til now.
- Even the simple default demo generates megabytes of garbage per second, when idle and with basically nothing on screen. Thoughtless use of tables and string ops throughout the code.
Yeah this is one of the problems of following imgui api for a garbage collected language if im not mistaken. The probable solution Im thinking for this is caching table and string ops to save memory but the tradeoff would be performance if im not mistaken.
- Visually unappealing, and lack of styling options.

I can help with these issues, but some of the changes would result in some pretty huge PRs. I also have an idea for a novel and flexible, yet pretty simple approach to styles that I always wanted to implement in my own UI lib (that I never made). Hit me up if you're interested.
hmmm I would be grateful for the contributions and PRs for the improvements of the game! thank you! Im thinking that these big changes you speak of are fitting for the next release which is v1.0.0.

Might i suggest putting each of the points above as a separate issue in the github repo so we can easily discuss changes there? Im curious about your idea for the styles :)
pirogronian
Prole

Post by pirogronian »

yetneverdone wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:21 pm
Oh so this is indeed a bug. I also notice this on my quite large game but didnt realize it til now.
This issue is identified for long time. I've already posted about it and proposed some sollution, but based on event processing. It can be found here.

In fact, it's not a "bug". It's rather inavoidable result of chosen approavh, based on state only, without processing direct input events.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

pirogronian wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:31 pm
This issue is identified for long time. I've already posted about it and proposed some sollution, but based on event processing. It can be found here.

In fact, it's not a "bug". It's rather inavoidable result of chosen approavh, based on state only, without processing direct input events.
I think the solution to this was already addressed and PR'ed by megagrump which is now in the `master` and `v1.0.0` branches
pirogronian
Prole

Post by pirogronian »

yetneverdone wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:10 am
pirogronian wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:31 pm

I think the solution to this was already addressed and PR'ed by megagrump which is now in the `master` and `v1.0.0` branches
Nope. AFAIK, there is no change in this matter in both branches for now... I want to be wrong, however.