Building a Free Library of Images for Everyone

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
zorg
Party member

Re: Building a Free Library of Images for Everyone

Post by zorg »

YoungNeer wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:00 pm I don't want to sound rude and all that but most of your art (i won't say all) is useless for games. They may fit better at some other place (not sure about that) but most of them definitely are useless in context of games. But with criticism comes applause- Your SFX are awesome. I have not used any in any of my games but definitely some-one in some part of the world WILL find it useful.
What do you mean? Textures are very useful; maybe not for you, but others can make use of them, -in games-.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

zorg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:30 pm What do you mean? Textures are very useful; maybe not for you, but others can make use of them, -in games-.
Maybe you are working on some crappy game and are in that phase where "okay anything will do". In that context these resources are definitely "useful" but not in my case. I use Kenney's assets FYI because his assets gives you that feel that "yeah I could use that in my game." And the resources that we are talking about belongs to the category "This doesn't look good but it's free. How could I use and in which way?" and you end up using the assets just because they are free and care not even once about the quality of the game.
My Github- your contribution is highly appreciated
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

YoungNeer wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:03 pm Maybe you are working on some crappy game and are in that phase where "okay anything will do". In that context these resources are definitely "useful" but not in my case. I use Kenney's assets FYI because his assets gives you that feel that "yeah I could use that in my game." And the resources that we are talking about belongs to the category "This doesn't look good but it's free. How could I use and in which way?" and you end up using the assets just because they are free and care not even once about the quality of the game.
What are you on about? Is your issue with the textures that they're small? I downloaded a realistic brick one and it was 2048x2048, which is fine.

I checked out Kenney's site, i only found like 2-3 spritesheets that were referred to as textures, and even then, they looked to be very simple, for games that have that aesthetic.

If anything, Eric's textures would be more useful for 3D games where these textures on walls, grounds, ceilings, whatever, are very useful.

Do correct me if i'm wrong, although i do feel a bit bad for contributing to the derailment of one of Eric's threads (again).
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

zorg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:30 pm
If anything, Eric's textures would be more useful for 3D games where these textures on walls, grounds, ceilings, whatever, are very useful.

Do correct me if i'm wrong, although i do feel a bit bad for contributing to the derailment of one of Eric's threads (again).
I wouldn't argue on that. 3D textures and 2D textures are like the north pole and south pole. You can't use them in the same context even if you want to. And then again- if they are 3D textures then they are useless for 2D games. I don't want to use the word useless but well there's only this word that slips off my tongue when I see free yet useless resources.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Okay, then we agree than it's just useless for your games, and not useless for those that want to do 3D games with löve, since, you know, it's a possibility. :3
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

zorg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:44 pm Okay, then we agree than it's just useless for your games, and not useless for those that want to do 3D games with löve, since, you know, it's a possibility. :3
That was exactly what I was trying to say from the beginning but you took it personally like Eric was your boyfriend or something (no offense :crazy: )
4vZEROv
Party member

Post by 4vZEROv »

YoungNeer wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:03 pm
zorg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:30 pm What do you mean? Textures are very useful; maybe not for you, but others can make use of them, -in games-.
Maybe you are working on some crappy game and are in that phase where "okay anything will do". In that context these resources are definitely "useful" but not in my case. I use Kenney's assets FYI because his assets gives you that feel that "yeah I could use that in my game." And the resources that we are talking about belongs to the category "This doesn't look good but it's free. How could I use and in which way?" and you end up using the assets just because they are free and care not even once about the quality of the game.
Funny, I think exactly the same about your libraries.
The phase where "anything will do" is called prototyping and every game have it.

You should watch this talk from Jonathan Blow :

Also I use his textures as reference for traditional drawing so they are very usefull at least for me.
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

4vZEROv wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:24 pm
Funny, I think exactly the same about your libraries.
The phase where "anything will do" is called prototyping and every game have it.

Also I use his textures as reference for traditional drawing so they are very usefull at least for me.
I don't know from where you got all that hatred inside of you but you should go read my post once more to get a clear understanding of what I am trying to say. At the end of the post I cleared everything - but some people just have the habit of stepping on other people's toes I guess

And just to end this derailment forever- You said you think exactly the same about my libraries. Well it doesn't matter what you think about my libraries as long as I know I'm improving. And look I'm a citizen now :cool:

And FYI I don't have the time to watch these 2 hours long videos like you have (no offense)
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

YoungNeer wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:02 pm That was exactly what I was trying to say from the beginning but you took it personally like Eric was your boyfriend or something (no offense :crazy: )
Yeah, no worries, i usually don't take offense, not even for implications like that; not sure about Eric though.
After all, Löve's not strictly a 2D game engine, so it does still fit into these forums, and that is what i was trying to say from the beginning.
YoungNeer wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:35 pm I don't know from where you got all that hatred inside of you but you should go read my post once more to get a clear understanding of what I am trying to say. At the end of the post I cleared everything - but some people just have the habit of stepping on other people's toes I guess

You said you think exactly the same about my libraries. Well it doesn't matter what you think about my libraries as long as I know I'm improving.
So many toes in this conversation, now that's making me uncomfortable :P

(Nor does it matter what you think about these textures though, if you want to be fair with what you said, he still has the right to say it.)

But yeah, i'm fine with stopping this discussion.
4vZEROv
Party member

Post by 4vZEROv »

Good to be self aware, beware of Dunning Kruger tho. Sorry to Eric for derailing the thread and keep up the good work :)