Löve "Light vs. Shadow" Engine v2

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
0x29a
Prole

Re: Löve "Light vs. Shadow" Engine v2

Post by 0x29a »

Uhh... broken with new Love version... Will there be a fix? :(
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Good job with the rewrite! Very impressive!
Lua is not an acronym.
piotrek75
Prole

Post by piotrek75 »

Do you know if this version of Light vs. Shadow Engine v2 is supported on Android?
While starting the basic demos, I get errors like the below (OPO, Android 6.0.1, Love2d from Google Play):
Line1: ERROR: 'uniform' : cannot initialize this type of qualifier
On desktop these demos run fine.
Sungray
Prole

Post by Sungray »

Is there a way to create a "sun" with this engine ? I've tried placing a light far away with huge range, but of course, I'm getting awful performances.

Also, the image shadows seem broken right now.
Skeletonxf
Citizen

Post by Skeletonxf »

On mobile love2d uses OpenGL ES, rather than normal OpenGL. This is in some ways incompatible with OpenGL code written without concern for ES, though you can wrestle with the pixel shaders and make them all ES compliant, and thus able to run on phones as well as desktops. This is exactly what I've been doing with a similar but different project called shadows that a game I've been working on depends on.

You can see the sort of changes you have to make to the shaders to make them compliant by looking at my main pull request
https://github.com/matiasah/shadows/pull/1
Guard13007
Party member

Post by Guard13007 »

Skeletonxf wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:56 pm [...] a similar but different project called shadows [...]
How similar is this? Is the API completely different? How do the features compare?
Skeletonxf
Citizen

Post by Skeletonxf »

You can see for yourself.

https://github.com/matiasah/shadows/wiki

A word of warning, the repository says the wiki is out of date. I don't know what features and API overlap because I have only used shadows myself.
Sungray
Prole

Post by Sungray »

Skeletonxf wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:21 pm You can see for yourself.

https://github.com/matiasah/shadows/wiki

A word of warning, the repository says the wiki is out of date. I don't know what features and API overlap because I have only used shadows myself.
Can you draw shadows from image files using this ?
Skeletonxf
Citizen

Post by Skeletonxf »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Do you want to hand over ImageData to a library and get that shadowed-ified?

I've only used it for basic shape shading - shapes defined in the engine.

I shouldn't be too hard to edit the glsl till it is ES compatible in any shading engine, anyway. It's basically syntax style changes, nothing very complicated and you shouldn't have to modify any of the lua files as you wouldn't be changing the shaders's functionality.
piotrek75
Prole

Post by piotrek75 »

Skeletonxf wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:56 pm On mobile love2d uses OpenGL ES, rather than normal OpenGL.

You can see the sort of changes you have to make to the shaders to make them compliant by looking at my main pull request
https://github.com/matiasah/shadows/pull/1
Thanks for the reply. I figured this out a bit later. Due to the error above, I even learned how to write myself some shaders :)