Simple LÖVE Linux Distribution

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
funkeh
Prole

Simple LÖVE Linux Distribution

Post by funkeh »

Hi peeps,

I've started work on a project that aims to drastically reduce the difficulty of porting to Linux by packaging system libraries with the game itself. So far the project has been confirmed to work on many modern Linux systems, so please check it out.

Thanks,
~funkeh
Rucikir
Party member

Re: Simple LÖVE Linux Distribution

Post by Rucikir »

It looks great, but can't we see the sources of bin/love32 and bin/love64 ? Would be easier to maintain for later versions of Love, and also easier to understand how what you've done works.
About the libs, do you have used the ones provided by your distro, or do you have compiled them by yourself ? If so, with what options ? Is it the latest version, as some of the distro are not always up-to-date ?
I'd rather use a script, or some kind of explaination on how to reproduce the process than the final tarball. But this is my opinion.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Looks cool!
I think I'll be using this from now on!
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
mongrol
Prole

Post by mongrol »

A mild warning here. Packaging dependant libraries along with your game basically precludes for packaging by downstream distributions. Debian and Ubuntu have a fairly strict policy that distribution libraries should be used over upstream included ones for a variety of reasons (e.g. support, stability etc).

The practise of including dependencies has always been a necessary evil for people distributing binaries and not allowing distro maintainers to package their games. Humblebundle, Steam, Desura quite frankly are a pain in arse and it's a crap shoot even on systems they formerly support (Steam having easily the best support).

If you want your .love game to "just work". Then code to the common love version at the time, let the user install the love runtime from the distro and just click the .love file. It would help if Love would maintain some backwards compatability but until that happens Debian are looking at support current and current-1 versions of love so more games continue to work between releases.

That said, if you're an indie or just don't want to license your game so it's packagable then bundle away. :)
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

funkeh wrote:Hi peeps,

I've started work on a project that aims to drastically reduce the difficulty of porting to Linux by packaging system libraries with the game itself. So far the project has been confirmed to work on many modern Linux systems, so please check it out.

Thanks,
~funkeh

Cool, I added it to this tutorial on .love game distribution:
http://www.ambience.sk/lua-love2d-game-distribution/
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

dusoft wrote:
funkeh wrote:Hi peeps,

Thanks,
~funkeh

Cool, I added it to this tutorial on .love game distribution:
http://www.ambience.sk/lua-love2d-game-distribution/
This is a nice blog post; mind changing all the love2d's with LÖVE? love2d.org is the website, not the framework name.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

josefnpat wrote:
This is a nice blog post; mind changing all the love2d's with LÖVE? love2d.org is the website, not the framework name.
Sure, good point.