The epic love demo thread!

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: The epic love demo thread!

Post by qubodup »

mike wrote:"Real" games are over-rated and can be accomplished with minimal amount of code. Case and point:

A new version of NO! I'm beta-ing it here before it's added to the official demo pack (replacing the old one). This one SHOULD be open to suggestion in the cases where more than one answer is possible. Let me know what you think.
Hello mike,

I made a recording of one game session and then uploaded it to GameVee, WeGame, YouTube and GamersTube. For testing purposes.

I too think that the game ending is abrupt. A fade in might be better. (though it would be good if the controls would be usable while fade in already.) There are other ways of course.

NO (v2) is a+. The sounds and music are as gentle as is the touch of almond milk hands in full moon candle light evening.

Would you lower yourself to stating the terms of use for both code and media (as text in the source, not as text in this forum) so that this game can be included as a documentation atom or demo in - for example - linux distributions?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

Jesus christ, man... you went all out on that shit. By adding text to the source, you do mean the "This is licensed under I-dun-giv-uh-shit" yeah?
PS: Are we officially giving up on Vimeo? Have they deleted your stuff yet?
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mike wrote:Jesus christ, man... you went all out on that shit. By adding text to the source, you do mean the "This is licensed under I-dun-giv-uh-shit" yeah?
Yeah I kind of mean that. For media, a text file called license.txt would be good in the media folder.
mike wrote:PS: Are we officially giving up on Vimeo? Have they deleted your stuff yet?
Well I'm not giving up on Vimeo, but I can't use it to upload gameplay videos of games I didn't make. You can use it for NO for example. And I can use if for lalalove (as I made some of the graphics.)
Policy:
# No captures of gameplay, regardless if it is edited or not. Machinima with a story is allowed, provided the story is more than "guys doing exactly what the game was made for (eg skateboarding)".
# Video game developers may post videos of their work provided they cite their involvement in the description of the video (maps and mods to commercial games don't count).
I didn't notice them deleting my recent uncommented-dumb-gameplay videos - I don't think they are too interesting from them anyways (together maybe 500 megs max) though this doesn't mean that I want to secretly keep uploading gameplay vids to vimeo. I'll just have to do without. (for these purposes)

PS: the purge will happen on sept. the first, so maybe they still are gonna clean my house.
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

What is the real world license equivalent of Creative Common's Attribution Share Alike?
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mike wrote:What is the real world license equivalent of Creative Common's Attribution Share Alike?
I know only one: GPL

You can use it for art. If there are "source" files of the graphics/audio in the game, you should provide lossless versions of them (flac audio, vector/layer images) if there are no source versions of the media, the lossy versions are the source version.

The GPL is a complex license. You can read an informative and not-too-long article on how the GPL is good for an open source project's growth (the example of the article is GNU/Linux vs. FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD).

If you like simplicity/premissive licenses, you should use the zlib license, which is used by LÖVE. (You can use if for art. - If you don't like to call the art "software", replace the word "software" by "media" but don't change anything else.)
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

This seems much ado about nothing, but licenses have been added and the game now fades upon win (to avoid heart attacks).
Attachments
no (v2).love
(284.36 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

OH HAI

metaballs!

You can drag one of your balls across the screen or create new ones (will be created at the current mouse pos). Be careful, near balls tend to stick (keep you balls separated if you don't want that to happen).

Things I've learned:

- You don't use Lua for iteration-intensive stuff
- You don't use glPoint as put_pixel
- You don't mix wine and watermelons
Attachments
metaballs.love
(360.51 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Cool, but painfully slow. I did warn you about setpixel-ing in Lua. :D
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

It's not entirely Point's fault, though. The algorithm itself is pretty slow too. What really surprised me is that if I avoided using math.sqrt I was able to speed it up to 15/16 fps. I mean, I know calculating square roots is slow, but I never imagined it would be that slow.

A quad tree and marching squares maybe? :D
MHD
Prole

Post by MHD »

A little thing I am working on atm...

My quad core, 3gb ram, geforce 8600 runs Meatballs at 1 FRAKING FPS!!!
Attachments
Shapes.love
Physics sandbox
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
I r awsum at looah ^^