DEVötiön IDE (Now available for Download!)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Brother Erryn
Prole

Re: DEVötiön IDE

Post by Brother Erryn »

ido wrote:Are you testing and making sure it's working properly on mono, or are you just hoping it does?

In my experience it's not obvious that any .net app will automatically also work on mono.
You're quite right. I haven't tried it in Mono, but from my limited experience where you get into trouble with that transition is if you're doing "unusual" things. My code is doing pretty basic stuff.
mLaPL wrote:yeah look's very nice, I search editor for lua but not find any like delphi with "popup command menu". If this editor have "popup command menu" then i will wait :)
I'm not familiar with Delphi...what's a "popup command menu"?
rude wrote:Looks really good. Is that Tango icons? Or are they built into .NET?
It's the Silk icon set, which is pretty Tango-like.

Today was a project-tree day. You can now create, delete, reorganize (to drag and drop), and rename project files. I've got some odds-and-ends to finish there, and a few file type handlers to write (configuration file handler, image viewer, etc.). And I need to hook up the controls for bookmarking, search, undo and redo. How soon I get done will depend greatly on how busy my other products keep me.
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

You don't need to do crazy stuff to break Mono. You can, for example, use ScintillaNet for the editor component and that won't run unless someone ports it... It shouldn't be all that hard, considering SciTe already runs on a myriad of platforms.
mLaPL
Prole

Post by mLaPL »

by Brother Erryn:
I'm not familiar with Delphi...what's a "popup command menu"?
look this screen:
igneous
Prole

Post by igneous »

Oh wow.. I can't wait to test this. Keep up the good work dude.
ido
Prole

Post by ido »

Brother Erryn wrote: You're quite right. I haven't tried it in Mono, but from my limited experience where you get into trouble with that transition is if you're doing "unusual" things. My code is doing pretty basic stuff.
I would recommend you make sure it works on mono in the beginning, when there is not yet a lot of code that would need changing to make it work.

If you wait until you have a ton of code getting to work on mono can be a chore - it's not like java where the standard way of programming will get you (mostly) platform independent code.

You *often* need to tweak your .net code to make it run on mono, I think you overestimate it's capability by quite a bit.
Brother Erryn
Prole

Post by Brother Erryn »

Unfortunately I only have a Windows box right now, so I don't have an environment to do this is Mono. I plan to put this up on Google Code as of the first release...anybody that wants to volunteer can Mono-ize it then (or branch/fork as desired). :)

I did just now run the project through MoMA (Mono Migration Analyzer). It did spot some potential issues with the SyntaxBoxControl library I'm using for syntax highlighting, but the rest of the code came through clean. A true Mono project might want to go for a Scintilla control instead, but I've personally had much better luck with SyntaxBox.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Brother Erryn wrote:Unfortunately I only have a Windows box right now...
http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:Windows
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
ido
Prole

Post by ido »

I would recommend installing ubuntu on VMware/VirtualBox - both the vm and the os are free.

I normally test my linux developed programs on windows using a windows install inside a virtual machine.

-Ido.

EDIT: yeah, not to mention mono works on windows :)
Brother Erryn
Prole

Post by Brother Erryn »

It looks like MonoDevelop does not work on Windows...is this incorrect?
ido
Prole

Post by ido »

Brother Erryn wrote: It looks like MonoDevelop does not work on Windows...is this incorrect?
Go here and click the windows icon.

That should give you all that you need to run/compile MonoDevelop on windows.

-Ido.