Programmer wanted for real-time strategy game "Cast Lead"

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
qubodup
Inner party member

Programmer wanted for real-time strategy game "Cast Lead"

Post by qubodup »

Hey,

I am working on a simple real-time strategy game and need the help of a person that would like to implement my game idea in LÖVE.

I registered the project on Assembla and started a git repository

(full size image here)

EDIT: You can check out the latest revision of the game via git.

If you would like to help me or want to talk about the idea, please use this thread, pm or email* me.

Thanks!

PS: criticism regarding the game design text especially welcome!

PPS: the intent of the game is to be anti-war.

*[email protected]

PPPS: Have a video!
Last edited by qubodup on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Kaze
Party member

Re: Programmer wanted for real-time strategy game "Cast Lead"

Post by Kaze »

Looks like an interesting game.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

I read your design document, the only issue I have was:
You are the leader of the Israeli Southern Command. Your task is to stop the rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip.
I feel that the moral compass is a bit askew right here...
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mike wrote:I read your design document, the only issue I have was:
You are the leader of the Israeli Southern Command. Your task is to stop the rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip.
I feel that the moral compass is a bit askew right here...
You're right, it sounds that way. The intension however is
Something anti-war.
I'm not sure yet about how this aspect will be realized exactly but it will be.
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

It looks like an interesting game and the mock-up is awesome, but I was slightly thrown aback by the seemingly Israel-centered storyline (especially concerning the rumors of them trying to viral themselves to sainthood). Perhaps an over-the-top display of brutality and death could be the way to go. Or maybe the clean interface should be as inhuman as possible, showing no emotion toward any action...

Have you determined a winning/losing factor? What about whether the game is story-based or objective-based (the latter being better for casual games). What about having the engine be capable of handeling different scenarios where the Isral/Gaza thing is just one of the possibilities.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mike wrote:Have you determined a winning/losing factor?
I added these now to the document:

It is impossible to achieve the objective.

There are five ways to lose:
* Play until the end of the time limit
* Kill more than two thousand
* Don't attack for longer than two hours after the first death on Israel ground
* Attack Egypt
* Sink your ship
mike wrote:What about whether the game is story-based or objective-based (the latter being better for casual games).
I added a segment on story:
Your task is to stop the rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip. You are given 24 hours.

Orders are given to you by the Chief of the General Staff. He will tell the initial objective, tell the player to hurry if there is no attack for too long, will prohibit the player to attack Egypt.

It has story, but the tasks are very simple. The game is without depth.
mike wrote:What about having the engine be capable of handeling different scenarios where the Isral/Gaza thing is just one of the possibilities.
I'm in doubt the current design allows for a game that is fun to play and think doing it flexible might be a waste of effort. This will be considered when the game is done I think :)
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

qubodup wrote: I'm in doubt the current design allows for a game that is fun to play and think doing it flexible might be a waste of effort. This will be considered when the game is done I think :)
its a double edged sword

if you make it open and flexible as possible and never make use of it, you have wasted time

but if you make it hardcoded, then want to expand on it later, you basically have to start over

just my 2 cents
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It looks like a great game, and I'd love to help, however I can't get myself the spare time and the dedication to do an entire project.
Anyway, if you need my help (is that even possible?) I'm willing to give it (well, I'll try to see if I'm able).
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

qubodup wrote:PPS: the intent of the game is to be anti-war.
mike wrote:Or maybe the clean interface should be as inhuman as possible, showing no emotion toward any action...
I had that idea: You'd do as mike said and after finishing game there would be screen called like "What have you done?", "Are you proud of yourself?", "Be proud" etc. There would be statistics like kills, time, etc. and also things like how many children, mothers, fathers did you kill how many orphans did you make. Reports about starvation, invalidity, illnesses and other after-war suffering of casualties.
>>I love LÖVE.<<
smrx
Prole

Post by smrx »

Green_Hell wrote:I had that idea: You'd do as mike said and after finishing game there would be screen called like "What have you done?", "Are you proud of yourself?", "Be proud" etc. There would be statistics like kills, time, etc. and also things like how many children, mothers, fathers did you kill how many orphans did you make. Reports about starvation, invalidity, illnesses and other after-war suffering of casualties.
I agree with this opinion.

The Finish-Screen should be as ironic as possible to give the game the last kick to a anti-war-game and to make the player re-think about the "coolness" of wargames and about the real conflict itself!

You realle have to care about this factor, if you don't, you may tend to create a pro-war-game or a game which makes fun about the war (and about the victims!).
And THIS would be absolutely unacceptable for me - i would abhor the game!