Love Web Server

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
schme16
Party member

Re: Love Web Server

Post by schme16 »

BlackBulletIV wrote:
schme16 wrote:love felt like a great language for this as its fast and resource light.
You mean Lua. LOVE is basically an extension of Lua, or (more correctly), Lua is the interface to LOVE.
Whoops typo :P
My Development Diary - http://shanegadsby.info
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

schme16 wrote:easily merged executable versus lua.exe+scripts
preexisting filesystem handler, rather than lua's standard io
loves pretty framework in general

I'm not necessarily saying that I think it should NOT be pure lua, just that LOVE is what I used to make the job easier.
I'm not sure if I'm getting what you're saying, but you want to use a Game Engine to make a webserver? That's quite possibly the worst idea since the holocaust.

However if you're looking to use the concept of love to make a web server framework, I'm pretty sure theres many that exist. Like cherrypy for python, kind of reminds me of love, and Django also. If you're trying to make a love library to host a http server that displays game info to others, its not hard to do that with LUBE, http is a well documented protocol and its not very complicated.
Last edited by tsturzl on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

thelinx wrote:I sincerely doubt any free web hosting service would allow CGI.
Theres quite a few, x10hosting used to, now only php. Byethosting may still
schme16
Party member

Post by schme16 »

I was using loves great framework design to make a webserver that had really easy to learn hooks that allowed you to nativle parse lua scripts and allow for a GUI for setting change not to mention full cross platform.

However due to the fact that people don't seem to want it or that insist on telling me that it's already done in another language, I've made it pure lua and have it on github under lua4web.
My Development Diary - http://shanegadsby.info
trookat
Prole

Post by trookat »

schme16 wrote:I was using loves great framework design to make a webserver that had really easy to learn hooks that allowed you to nativle parse lua scripts and allow for a GUI for setting change not to mention full cross platform.

However due to the fact that people don't seem to want it or that insist on telling me that it's already done in another language, I've made it pure lua and have it on github under lua4web.
I am interested , the best solution i have seen is using php to phrase lua using php functions as abstraction. this however simply took the lua script , ran it through a filter and called eval() making php calls on the fly. just looked like double handling to me. but seemed like the only option unless you are running your own web server and able to use lua as a cgi
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

Kelper and the Orbit fork of Kelper are good Lua web frameworks.

If you can make something thats inivative and easy to use, more power to you. Sorry if you got offended by my crude humor, but if you're planning on using the love framework itself to interpret the code then you're not going anywhere fast with this. If you're using the concept of Love, then you might want to look to cherrypy for ideas.

Also, the best thing you can to do make a successful web framework, imo, is make a non-SQL way to interact with the database using Tables, that would be really awesome. Make something that will take a certain formated table and convert it to an SQL query, and you'll be pretty golden. Also something that will allow you to not have to touch HTML and JS would be really nice, something like Pyjamas for python, or google web toolkit for java. Though databasing is probably more of an issue. Maybe use a template system to allow you to distribute HTML pages with embedded lua variables, form fields, and AJAX elements and on request of a template the web server will parse the template and fill in any variables or fields/elements before sending a response.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Anyone have a copy of this for me to browse? I'm getting a 404 page on the bitbucket link.