Advanced Tiled Loader - No longer maintained

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Karai17
Party member

Re: Advanced Tiled Loader - Updated to 0.11.0!

Post by Karai17 »

Those are some things worth thinking about, no doubt...

Also on a totally unrelated note, Some people have reported to me that my game only displays a white screen instead of a map. One reported that it worked on their pc with an nVidia chip but not their Intel chip:

[13:20] <Razzeeyy> razzeeyy@Rz-Notebook:~$ lspci | grep -i vga
[13:20] <Razzeeyy> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
[13:20] <Razzeeyy> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 540M] (rev a1)
[13:21] <Razzeeyy> probably map rendered thru shaders or so

Another reported it didn't work at all for him on Windows or Linux, but didn't report which graphics card/chip he was using.

I'm not sure if this is an ATL problem, a Love problem, or maybe an [strike]Intel[/strike] integrated chipset problem? I personally have an nVidia GTX 550Ti and have never had the "white tiles" problem.

Edit: New report in that an integrated nVidia 7100 and nVidia integrated 6301 are both "white tile" erroring.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Actually, it's probably the tilesheet, I'm going to assume you use a huge tilesheet, and it's generally not safe to have an image larger than 1024x1024.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

The more you know! yes, I snagged a sizeable tilesheet off of dA to test my code with. I'll keep the 1024^2 number in mind. Thanks.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

There's been two updates now. I'll tackle one at a time

0.11.1 (09/26/12)
  • Created Map:removeLayer()
  • Added a 'visible' value to Map, ObjectLayer, TileLayer, and Object
  • Created ObjectLayer:toCustomLayer()
The first two changes are self evident. The last change is the addition of function that allows you to convert an object layer into a custom layer. This is to help further push the idea that ObjectLayers and Objects are static data. The function will do an in-place conversion of the ObjectLayer. The layer will retain it's position in the map and any values but will lose its metatable/functions.

0.11.2 (10/08/12)
  • TileLayers will now calculate their own viewable tile range.
  • Added parallax support for TileLayers.
  • Added offset support for Maps and TileLayers.
  • Map.drawRange has been removed and replaced with viewX, viewY, viewScaling, and viewPadding.
    Map:autoDrawRange() and other such interface functions have not changed.
Before this update, maps kept a single table that contained information on which tiles are being drawn. If there were any changes to this table then sprite batches would be redrawn. This is part of the reason why sprite batches are so fast - they only need to be updated when the screen changes. Unfortunately since there was only a single table that meant the layers all had to draw the same area. With update 0.11.2 layers will now keep their own tile range and so now things can be supported like parallax and offset. In the future layers may be able to be rotated and scaled as well.

To change the parallax speed you only need to set the values TileLayer.parallaxX and TileLayer.parallaxY. 1 equals 100% speed so if parallaxX was set to 2 then horizontal scrolling speed would be doubled.
Zeliarden
Party member

Re: Advanced Tiled Loader - Updated to 0.11.2!

Post by Zeliarden »

Ohh nice!

but... gets this error when I tried the 0.11.2
Error: AdvTiledLoader/Map.lua:253: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'viewW' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
AdvTiledLoader/Map.lua:253: in function '_updateTileRange'
AdvTiledLoader/Map.lua:141: in function 'callback'
AdvTiledLoader/Map.lua:151: in function 'draw'
main.lua:197: in function 'draw'
[string "boot.lua"]:349: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:318>
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
fixed it by seting them in newMap

Code: Select all

map.viewW = nil				-- The width of the viewing screen
	map.viewH = nil				-- The height of the viewing screen

map.viewW = love.graphics.getWidth()
	map.viewH = love.graphics.getHeight()
btw "show/hide" layers in Tiles still shows in ATL. would be nice to be able to just hide the collision layer instead of moveing it to the back
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

Zeliarden wrote:Ohh nice!

but... gets this error when I tried the 0.11.2
Error: AdvTiledLoader/Map.lua:253: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'viewW' (a nil value)
fixed it by seting them in newMap

btw "show/hide" layers in Tiles still shows in ATL. would be nice to be able to just hide the collision layer instead of moveing it to the back
Thanks, the newest commit should fix the error. I don't understand your last sentence though. I tested the TileLayer.visible and it worked for me.
Zeliarden
Party member

Post by Zeliarden »

Ahh you could set it manualy :D
I don't understand your last sentence though. I tested the TileLayer.visible and it worked for me.
I mean if you unmark a layer it still show in ATL, so I used to put the Collision layer at the bottom, under the ground layer
layers.jpg
layers.jpg (60.7 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

I see now. I didn't realize that Tiled saved the show/hidden status of layers. This should be really easy to get working though. Give me a bit and I'll commit a fix for it.

--edit--

Done!
adrix89
Party member

Post by adrix89 »

Quick question on license.

The project is CC-BY-SA so does that mean it is contagious to my project?
If I make a game but not modify the library does that mean I have to license my game SA?
What is the authors interpretation of the license on this?
I use Workflowy but you can check out Dynalist as its the better offer.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

adrix89 wrote:Quick question on license.

The project is CC-BY-SA so does that mean it is contagious to my project?
If I make a game but not modify the library does that mean I have to license my game SA?
What is the authors interpretation of the license on this?
The license is MIT and you definitely don't have to license your game the same way. Lua uses MIT as well so if licenses worked that way it wouldn't matter if you included ATL or not. :P

Honestly, your only obligation is to not remove the license from the library.
Also don't sue me