Erös Alpha Version 0.0.2.1

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
chris
Prole

Re: L Builder Design View

Post by chris »

I dont think it matters much that it doesnt work on Linux/Mac. Most beginners will use Windows anyway. (I assume this tool is ment for beginners?? :P)
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

chris wrote:I dont think it matters much that it doesnt work on Linux/Mac. Most beginners will use Windows anyway. (I assume this tool is ment for beginners?? :P)
It is not just for beginners but it is build to be beginner friendly :neko: I am not well today in bed with a kill headache so not getting out of it
so work is on hold today ^^ lazy I know but if I am not on ball with it I could make some silly mistakes.
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
chris
Prole

Post by chris »

Doesn't matter xD It's not about one day. It's about if it will be there or not.

I actually think this is a great idea. Because Love is a really easy tool to learn to programm games. You should make a installer, that installs Love, L Builder, together.

Then, for L Builder itself, I would suggest focussing on stability. And a intuitive user interface. The best reason I can come up with to use a tool such as L builder is to make programming in Love simpler. Bugs and half working functions will obstruct that purpose pretty much. That means in practice, dont try to implent Game Maker like bricks and such before the basic: edit the config file, write the code, run the code, include files, read the documentation, things work.

I dont know what your programming skills exactly are, but I myself currently use gedit with code completion, syntax highlighting, automatic bracket closing, etc. I dont know how to implent it, or maybe there even are open-source solutions avaiable to do this stuff, but I know it's pretty handy.

(and still, excuse me for my bad English, I'm trying hard to improve it..)
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

chris wrote:Doesn't matter xD It's not about one day. It's about if it will be there or not.

I actually think this is a great idea. Because Love is a really easy tool to learn to programm games. You should make a installer, that installs Love, L Builder, together.

Then, for L Builder itself, I would suggest focussing on stability. And a intuitive user interface. The best reason I can come up with to use a tool such as L builder is to make programming in Love simpler. Bugs and half working functions will obstruct that purpose pretty much. That means in practice, dont try to implent Game Maker like bricks and such before the basic: edit the config file, write the code, run the code, include files, read the documentation, things work.

I dont know what your programming skills exactly are, but I myself currently use gedit with code completion, syntax highlighting, automatic bracket closing, etc. I dont know how to implent it, or maybe there even are open-source solutions avaiable to do this stuff, but I know it's pretty handy.

(and still, excuse me for my bad English, I'm trying hard to improve it..)

The installer when its all working will include loves with it and will update love for the L Builder after its been checked its stable the end user wont
have to redownload love all the time, Autocomplete right now is in the winds problem with scintilla it included the syntax is already set to lua
so we have the right design view and I am going for the time being and maybe a action window that will past your action in to the window for you.

Yes this is more of a love compiler and editor then a game maker as I would have to know how love works at a code level not just the scripting side
of things and I am really bad with C++ so thats not going to happen any time soon lol.

Tomorrow I should have building config working, main.lua is pre-written anyway from the editor, my next stange is then to include the resources for the
scripts.

OK little help if you please, For the paths of the images, scripts and sounds how are they set in the script is it just /resource/item.type?

as I am going to add resource tags _Img, _Scripts, _Audio,

EG: love.image.newImageData(_Img.."DemoImage.jpg");
Sir Kittenface

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

crow wrote:OK little help if you please, For the paths of the images, scripts and sounds how are they set in the script is it just /resource/item.type?

as I am going to add resource tags _Img, _Scripts, _Audio,

EG: love.image.newImageData(_Img.."DemoImage.jpg");
Could you please rephrase that?

Did you perhaps mean:
not crow wrote:Are images etc. found by their pathname?
or something like that? (The answer would be yes.)

btw, love.graphics.newImage() makes a new image, and it is much more often needed than love.image.newImageData(). I'm not sure whether you intended the former or the latter.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Robin wrote:
not crow wrote:Are images etc. found by their pathname?
No, I am going to set perset verbs for Images (_Img), Scripts(_Scripts) & audio(_Audio) and I just needed to know how the exe is looking for the paths i see its exe root/foldernmae/filename.type, if I am wrong please slap me with a silly stick lol :neko:
Robin wrote: btw, love.graphics.newImage() makes a new image, and it is much more often needed than love.image.newImageData(). I'm not sure whether you intended the former or the latter.
I just picked the function out of the wiki what called a file path example I still have to get my head around some of the love functions later on lol.

I hope this is little more understandable for you.
Sir Kittenface

Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Hm, let my try this:

If your folder structure is like this:

Code: Select all

game/
  |-main.lua
  |-conf.lua
  |-resources
  |   |-images
  |   |   |-tree.png
You would call newImage like this:

love.graphics.newImage("resources/images/tree.png"
Does this help you?
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Robin wrote:Hm, let my try this:

If your folder structure is like this:

game/
  |-main.lua
  |-conf.lua
  |-resources
  |   |-images
  |   |   |-tree.png
You would call newImage like this:

love.graphics.newImage("resources/images/tree.png"
Does this help you?
Once again yep lol like always just how I was going to do it resource/images/ would = _Imgs in my editor :) but you can also set your own but i am trying to make it n00b friendly thanks Robin :)
Sir Kittenface

Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

crow wrote:Once again yep lol like always just how I was going to do it resource/images/ would = _Imgs in my editor :) but you can also set your own but i am trying to make it n00b friendly thanks Robin :)
What you could also do, is make another function, like this:

function newNoobImage(filename) -- obviously with another name ;)
    return love.graphics.newImage(_Imgs .. filename)
end
EDIT: woohoo, 2700th post!
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Robin wrote:
crow wrote:Once again yep lol like always just how I was going to do it resource/images/ would = _Imgs in my editor :) but you can also set your own but i am trying to make it n00b friendly thanks Robin :)
What you could also do, is make another function, like this:

function newNoobImage(filename) -- obviously with another name ;)
    return love.graphics.newImage(_Imgs .. filename)
end
EDIT: woohoo, 2700th post!

I guess I could but would that not making it way 2 easy ? when they ask for scripting support here and lets say I am ill and not here the new functions
might confuse people that help, I guess I can add some lazy functions but state they might not be supported on the public forum I guess.
Sir Kittenface