Try Love in your Browser

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Luiji
Party member

Re: Try Love in your Browser

Post by Luiji »

Even with all that drama, I think Google is working on a format that Apple and Mozilla should agree to use or something.
Good bye.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:Well, Apple's against OGG/VORBIS because of the ownership. It may be open source but only until 2012 or so. Then it will need licenses.
Where'd you get that? I can't find that on the web.

And isn't it, you know, impossible to do that with open source?

EDIT: also, I think you mean Ogg Theora, which is the video codec.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Robin wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Well, Apple's against OGG/VORBIS because of the ownership. It may be open source but only until 2012 or so. Then it will need licenses.
Where'd you get that? I can't find that on the web.

And isn't it, you know, impossible to do that with open source?

EDIT: also, I think you mean Ogg Theora, which is the video codec.
It has to do with some contract that some companies signed that says they're not going to sue anyone for using OGG/Theora until after 2012. I don't know the specifics of it, but that's the general idea.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Owkay... but those companies don't own Theora, right?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Robin wrote:Owkay... but those companies don't own Theora, right?
No, but it seems to be very fuzzy. All I know is that MPEG-LA, the owners of the h.264 specification (I guess...) are putting together a patent pool to go after Theora. I guess Theora uses some technology that is covered by other patents.

http://hugoroy.eu/jobs-os.php

Right now you can publish video in either Ogg Theora or h.264 royalty-free. But after 2016 (it seems they pushed the deadline 4 years), it won't be royalty-free anymore.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Apple won't use it because of that silly reason. Personally I think the whole rights thing for stuff like this is silly anyway. You know that in order to play MPEG-2 video files in QuickTime you have to pay Apple $20 for the codec because they have to pay that $20 to the MPEG group for the rights for it? But MPEG-2 plays just fine in all the opensource free video players like MPlayer, VLC and Movist. I think these video and audio codecs should belong to everyone without needing licenses to use them. Especially in this day and age with internet video being everywhere.
snake
Citizen

Post by snake »

Chris016 wrote:There is a flash compiler that is free, Its called Flex SDK, Which is actually Actionscript 3 compiler free of charge and there is a free IDE to use with it called FlashDevelop, And i was thinking of embedding Lua Alchemy into it. Havent had time but its possible. Having ActionScript interpret Lua would be really slow.
Love-Alchemy is using Flex SDK.
(I would never buy shit from Adobe)
FlashDevelop is Windows only so not interesting.

If you want to know something about Love-Alchemy just visit #loveclub and ask me everything.
I don't think speed is that of a big problem as i first thought (Alchemy can do some optimizations normal Flash Compiler can't do) and it should be fast enough for small games.
I am currently not developing Love-Alchemy very actively cause staring at Adobe docs the whole day sucks and I am more interested to get Love working on this little Device:
http://sharism.cc/specs/
(See uLove project)
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

nevon wrote:Right now you can publish video in either Ogg Theora or h.264 royalty-free. But after 2016 (it seems they pushed the deadline 4 years), it won't be royalty-free anymore.
I just want to clarify that in 2016 anything can happen. It all depends on what kind of license MPEG LA chooses to enact. Whether that is to continue the current one, loosen it, or to make a greedier one is up to MPEG LA.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

All this crazyness is the reason why the European Union declared software patents unrecognized. It's all insanity! Let's say I make my own awesome file format, there's no way to know whether or not I've voided patents. Three years later, I'm sued for a total of 5 billion dollars by various companies. Insanity!
Good bye.