There's not enough stuff

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Kuromeku
Party member

There's not enough stuff

Post by Kuromeku »

I don't think there is enough stuff.

I think there needs to be more functions, more utility helpers, collision detection helpers/functions, and some sort of GUI functions. As for the GUI, you should have functions to create things like text entry controls, labels, combo boxes, and the sort. This stuff is really handy, but give us the ability to create custom controls. The reason I ask for this is because the current text entry controls that we can make are shit, because there's no way to do copy and paste, no cursor, no highlighting, etc.

Please release the new collision update so I can get to work on some real games.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: There's not enough stuff

Post by qubodup »

STUFFF!@
stuf.png
stuf.png (106.77 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Lord Tim
Prole

Post by Lord Tim »

I've done highlighting, cursor, and could probably do copy/paste, but it'd only be within the game... Unless I used some fancy C thing.

Technically, there's no reason you can't make all that stuff yourself. Of course, it'd be nice to have those things premade, but then again it'd be nice for your own program to be premade as well.

Keep in mind, Löve is still a beta. Not even 1.0.0 yet.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

All that stuff is planned but, as Ye Almighty Lord Tim said: there's no reason you can't do it yourself. LÖVE already cuts out the need for loading and presenting graphics, sound and handling rudimentary input. As game engines go, that should be enough to fulfill 90% of people's needs because all the things you want can be made using what we have presented already.
That said, there are many game ideas that I have put on the shelf because built-in collision detection isn't ready yet. We're working on it.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
Xfcn
Citizen

Post by Xfcn »

I completely and utterly disagree. Love has exactly enough of what it needs to do what it's goal was: create simple games that aren't a chore. The stuff you want? Chores. You need a full-featured program. If you're on Windows, I highly recommend you check out wxLua as that's probably exactly what you're after (although you'll still have to custom-brew your own SDL / OpenAL bindings).

Lua is meant for small, simple things. It was never intended to be a direct challenge to C++ which is what people seem to be treating it as being.

EDIT: Sorry if I come on strong here, I like love just the way it is. :P
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

LÖVE was created to be a user-friendly engine in which simple (or complicated) games could be made without having extensive knowledge of system or graphics functions and without having to dedicate time towards developing the same engine features time and time again.
Many posibilites (in this case: function(alitie)s) create complexity.

I know that GUI systems are an area where it's impossible to suit everybody's needs, perhaps it would be smart to keep them out of the original löve - perhaps.

About physics: I don't really know.. About sound I only know that sound is important. Networking too. Collision detection? Might be usefull, but it had to be pretty abstract (independant from image files...)
The reason I ask for this is because the current text entry controls that we can make are shit, because there's no way to do copy and paste, no cursor, no highlighting, etc.
What do you mean? "Text entry control"? You want a console? A text field for user input?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Kudomiku wrote:I don't think there is enough stuff.
Nice of you to volunteer. :D