Stupid Question from the beginer

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Anonimus220
Prole

Stupid Question from the beginer

Post by Anonimus220 »

I may look stuoid for you and etc. i actually worked only at Scratch and some C# and Unity( which was hard) and i need help...
How to run the programm? I downloaded zip- file cause when i downloaded the program itself i broke something i guess.

So... which file i need to open to run the program? I want to try something cool and new so what i should open or run or idk
Please help me :(
ddabrahim
Party member

Re: Stupid Question from the beginer

Post by ddabrahim »

Love2D doesn't come with a visual editor or IDE but a Lua interpreter. You can write your code in any text or code editor and then run the code using Love2D by either

1. drag and drop your project folder or main.lua on to Love2D executable
2. package your project in to a zip and rename it from .zip to .love and run it with double click (You need to install Love2D first)
3. run it from command line

You can read more about it here:
https://love2d.org/wiki/Getting_Started

If you are looking for a simple integrated experience I recommend ZeroBrane Studio, it comes with Love2D support out of the box. Otherwise you need to setup your own development environment, Love2D does not include any just the interpreter.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

ddabrahim wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:30 pm 1. drag and drop your project folder or main.lua on to Love2D executable
Not main.lua. That won't work.

Dragging and dropping a pre-packaged .love file will work.
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

pgimeno wrote:Not main.lua. That won't work.
My memory tricked me again. Thanks for the correction.
Anonimus220
Prole

Post by Anonimus220 »

Wow, thanks. I wasn't suspecting that everything will be SO different. I just had a recomendation from one guy who said that he used Love2D for his projects.
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

Love2D and Lua is more beginner friendly, more simple to code than C# but require a completely different mindset since It is involve more coding on your part than visual game engines like Unity. But it is worth it, Love2D is very capable and really fun to code.
However if you are looking for a more visual game making experience but something more simple than Unity then I would recommend something like GDevelop or if you prefer light weight scripting then Godot is a popular free alternative to Unity.

I would recommend to stick around though, Love2D can help you learn lot of fundamental programming concepts that you can apply anywhere.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

ddabrahim wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:21 pm I would recommend to stick around though, Love2D can help you learn lot of fundamental programming concepts that you can apply anywhere.
And be frustrated sometimes because something that engines to themself you must code yourself, haha
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

GVovkiv wrote:And be frustrated
Yes that is certainly a downside of frameworks like Love2D. if you don't want to code something and 3rd party libraries doesn't do exactly what you want to do. But engines like Unity, Godot also has bugs, limitations, compatibility problems and because of all the bloat performance and stability problems also very common with those engines that can be just as frustrating. With Love2D you at least have the option to use your frustration for something productive :D
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

But engines like Unity, Godot also has bugs, limitations
I'm definitely sure that my monkey brain have more limitations that engines developer's, haha
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

Anonimus220 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:28 pm Wow, thanks. I wasn't suspecting that everything will be SO different. I just had a recomendation from one guy who said that he used Love2D for his projects.
Just use the Zero Brain Studio, write the path to the love.exe and start the program with F6.
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies