Game EXE flagged by Windows Defender

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Enno
Prole

Game EXE flagged by Windows Defender

Post by Enno »

I followed the steps to create a Windows Executable, and when I try to run it, Windows shows a warning saying there is a virus in mygame.exe
Windows Defender reports it as Behavior:Win32/Execution.A!ml, which I think means that it hasn't identified it as being infected with a specific virus so much as it's noticing behavior that's a strong indicator of malware? Is there any way to stop this from happening? Does anyone know what LOVE is doing to trigger these suspicions?
togFox
Party member

Re: Game EXE flagged by Windows Defender

Post by togFox »

I had my love exe blocked by Avast because it was (intentionally) writing to the hard drive.

I added that exe to the white list and all was good.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Turn off defender (and delete any av you have), or add the exe as an exception and don't worry about it.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

As Microsoft states on their site, it's a generic detection and is basically subject to Windows' whims. You can not really stop Windows (or other anti-viruses) from raising a warning about random executables that do not have a verifiable source, like Windows store, or AppStore on macOS. It's a frankly necessary precaution to protect unsuspecting users from running files they shouldn't trust.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

zorg wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:56 am Turn off defender (and delete any av you have), or add the exe as an exception and don't worry about it.
or install linux, hehe
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I think the point of the OP is if there is something that can be done for distribution, to prevent alerting other users.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Enno wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:44 pm I followed the steps to create a Windows Executable, and when I try to run it, Windows shows a warning saying there is a virus in mygame.exe
Windows Defender reports it as Behavior:Win32/Execution.A!ml, which I think means that it hasn't identified it as being infected with a specific virus so much as it's noticing behavior that's a strong indicator of malware? Is there any way to stop this from happening? Does anyone know what LOVE is doing to trigger these suspicions?
I used to use AutoIt a lot when I was a Windows user, and this kind of thing happened ALL the time. I think the issue is that Love (and other platforms) encapsulates a host of things the engine can do, which freaks out AV software. There's not guarantee that a love game is totally innocent and won't harm someone's system. As togFox pointed out, it can intentionally write to the hard drive, and that could be used in malicious ways.

Having said that, I have no idea if there's any way to prevent AVs from freaking out or not. -_-
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.