Monitor/GPU crash after load.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
JJSax
Prole

Monitor/GPU crash after load.

Post by JJSax »

I'm not totally sure what is going on, but I'm pretty sure this started happening after a graphic driver update. This only happens when building a love2d game, and I haven't experienced it elsewhere.

It doesn't matter what code I run, about 10 - 20% of the time I hear the windows "disconnect" sound, like when you unplug a USB, then my entire screen will freeze, and Sublime will be unresponsive until I restart Sublime.

Today I've been noticing that disconnect sound every single time I run a blank main.lua. It seems to happen whether or not I build with Sublime or drag the folder to love.exe. I'm not sure how to even debug this. Does anyone have any ideas?

edit: I have an Nvidia Gforce 960 GPU and I7-5820 processor.
Last edited by JJSax on Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Monitor/GPU crash after load.

Post by GVovkiv »

Is that AMD or NVIDIA?(Or maybe even intel?)
what exactly gpu you use?
does that happens with other games/programs?
Does that happens with games made with older love version?(if you have one, for example, kingdom rush 2-3)
If that amd, then this is default behavior for amd gpu's on windows, lol
JJSax
Prole

Post by JJSax »

GVovkiv wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:18 pm Is that AMD or NVIDIA?(Or maybe even intel?)
what exactly gpu you use?
does that happens with other games/programs?
Does that happens with games made with older love version?(if you have one, for example, kingdom rush 2-3)
If that amd, then this is default behavior for amd gpu's on windows, lol
Good question, I should have put that in the original post. I have an Nvidia Gforce 960 GPU and I7-5820 processor.

This only happens with Love2d programs
I'm not sure if it happens with older versions of Love2d. This is the first time this has happened for me and I haven't touched love2d files since 11.3 came out.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

So, that nvidia..
My 1st guess is try to downgrade drivers and check if that works, maybe nvidia (yet again) fucked drivers
2nd https://github.com/love2d/love, if you have willing for that, you can try build latest love version from source and try run it (or, maybe, under actions tab https://github.com/love2d/love/actions, open latest job and download artifact and try it)
If problem solved with newest version of love, then you probably want to just wait for 11.4 release
And if anything doesn't help, you may want to just simply reinstall nvidia drivers and see if that solved issue
And if all that doesn't help, then you probably should visit https://github.com/love2d/love/issues issues, where slime should provide better explanation how you can detect source of problems
JJSax
Prole

Post by JJSax »

It turns out that my love.exe that I had on my desktop went to 11.2 love2d and it was having the same issue. Interesting.

After I shut the computer down for a full night I haven't had this happen this time. Nothing has changed and this isn't the first time I'm restarted/shut down while this has happened too. I'll keep an eye on it and follow those steps.