How to test android on MS Windows box?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
togFox
Party member

How to test android on MS Windows box?

Post by togFox »

I've had a request to port Mars Lander to Android. Given the game has just three buttons I think it's entirely possible and a touch-screen interface has been suggested to me. That's not the question.

The question is: how do I set up a testing environment for Android on a MS Windows computer?

My next question is: how to I bundle/package for this Android environment? I believe the answer to that is on the LOVE wiki (I remember seeing it but never read it).

And then the question becomes: how do I test a touch-screen when I don't have a touch-screen (I'm on MS Windows)??!?!
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: How to test android on MS Windows box?

Post by GVovkiv »

The question is: how do I set up a testing environment for Android on a MS Windows computer?

BlueStacks
Nox

My next question is: how to I bundle/package for this Android environment? I believe the answer to that is on the LOVE wiki (I remember seeing it but never read it).
https://www.love2d.org/wiki/Game_Distribution

And then the question becomes: how do I test a touch-screen when I don't have a touch-screen (I'm on MS Windows)??!?!
Just with regular mouse?
If you need just to make sure, if touch screen functions works, then, probably, mouse and cursor is enough
If you need to test how controls with touch screen feels on real touch screen... then you should get somewhere device with touch screen? duh
For example, nox can emulate some touch screen features such as 2 fingers input and so on(and, i believe, bluestacks also capable of this)
So you can try there
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

That is enough to get me started. Thanks!
Current project:
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

togFox wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:28 pm And then the question becomes: how do I test a touch-screen when I don't have a touch-screen (I'm on MS Windows)??!?!
Left mouse button works almost as the one touch.

You can start any .love file on Android, without compilation or packing. Actually .love is just a renamed .zip
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
mxmlnbndsmnn
Prole

Post by mxmlnbndsmnn »

GVovkiv wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:02 pm The question is: how do I set up a testing environment for Android on a MS Windows computer?

BlueStacks
Nox
Always had some struggle with those. Switched to MEmu. Might give it a shoot if it is more to your liking.
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

If you don't have touchscreen PC, the best way to add touch input support to your game is to test it in real device.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

AuahDark wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:56 pm If you don't have touchscreen PC, the best way to add touch input support to your game is to test it in real device.
Facts
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

I know this is not a memu support forum but I have installed it and launched it and I get just a black screen. There is no 'android' environment. No desktop. No settings icon. No wallpaper.

I'd like to test my game on an emulator but there seems to be an assumed level of knowledge above my own.

Edit: Bluestacks seems to be working.
Current project: