What sites do you recommend for hosting your screenshots and game? [RESOLVED]

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Rastashmup
Prole

What sites do you recommend for hosting your screenshots and game? [RESOLVED]

Post by Rastashmup »

Hi,

Now I want to post a game in the "Games and Creations" section of this forum. I uploaded the screenshots on https://de.imgbb.com
and tried to insert the images with the forum`s img tag and the imgbb image urls. In the preview of the post, the images were not shown, only "broken" image icons. What is needed for it to work?

Then there is posting the .zip with the game. Apparently I cannot upload the file directly and I need to insert an url with a link to it. so the game needs to be hosted somewhere. What hosting would you recommend?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Rastashmup on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eglaios
Prole

Re: What sites do you recommend for hosting your screenshots and game?

Post by Eglaios »

ImageBB urls don't directly link to the images.
You have to get on your image's page, then "open the image in a new tab".
If there's the file extension at the end of the url, then this is the right one.
Currently working on game music...
Rastashmup
Prole

Post by Rastashmup »

Ok, tested that in a preview and it worked. Now there`s only the question about the hosting of the game left.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Attaching .love and .zip files should work. You can also attach one or two images to the post; I think not more than two.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Imgur is reliable for hosting images, and itch.io is probably the most popular option for hosting games. Attaching files to posts should be the simplest option, but it doesn't always seem to work too well.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
Rastashmup
Prole

Post by Rastashmup »

Hi,
I didn`t want to use itch.io because I wanted to reserve that for better games later on, which I want to upload under my own brand. This game is not really representative of my work and doesn`t use my brand.
Attaching the file to the post would be an option. I know that I once did that in a different post, but somehow I can no longer find the function. How would I do that?
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

Attaching files to a post is located on the screen where you write up your, well, post. Under the textbox.
However, I think that recently registered users can not post files - not until they have posted at least a few posts on the forums.
Rastashmup
Prole

Post by Rastashmup »

Ok, found it, thank you.
milon
Party member

Re: What sites do you recommend for hosting your screenshots and game? [RESOLVED]

Post by milon »

Just keep in mind that forum attachments have a lifespan, and eventually get deleted when they're too old (months or more). If you want a more longterm hosting solution, use itch.io or something similar.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: What sites do you recommend for hosting your screenshots and game? [RESOLVED]

Post by pgimeno »

I don't think forum attachments expire, and much less in a question of months. But apparently some very old stuff (2009 or so) did get lost at some point; I speculate it happened during a forum migration or something like that. See this thread where an attachment from march 2009 got lost, someone complained in 2010 and it was reuploaded by the author, and it is still available today: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=542