API newVolumeImage parameter layers

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Rigachupe
Citizen

API newVolumeImage parameter layers

Post by Rigachupe »

Hi, does somebody understand what the layers parameter for function newVolumeImage is? And if this can be constructed from a single image exported as slices from MagicaVoxel?
pgimeno
Party member

Re: API newVolumeImage parameter layers

Post by pgimeno »

Löve can only load from PNG or JPG, and both of these are 2D image formats. In order to have the pixels defined for all 3 dimensions, you need one 2D image per every Z coordinate. These images are the layers, and you pass them as a table of images. The docs are not clear on the mapping, but most likely Z=0 corresponds to the image at index 1 and so on (so, Z = index - 1).
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

pgimeno wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:34 pm Löve can only load from PNG or JPG(...)
Not only. LÖVE supports many formats. See Image_Formats and PixelFormat.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Oh right, thanks for the correction. I don't know where I got that from. The point still stands, though, that none of the file types is 3D and the layers are the different 2D images used for different Z coordinates.
Rigachupe
Citizen

Post by Rigachupe »

Hmm, correct me if i am understanding this wrong. But the volume image is a voxel like 3D texture accelerated by GPU?
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

Rigachupe wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:46 am Hmm, correct me if i am understanding this wrong. But the volume image is a voxel like 3D texture accelerated by GPU?
A VolumeImage is a 3D texture. All that means is that the texture not only has width and height, but also depth - basically a stack of 2D images. It doesn't by itself provide 3D/voxel rendering, it's merely a data structure.