Garbage going crazy

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
grump
Party member

Garbage going crazy

Post by grump »

When you run this love file, it will display the current garbage collection counter. It goes up pretty fast.

The program does basically nothing, just counting a few variables up and down, and it calls a bunch of empty functions. The only thing that should produce garbage is the display of the garbage counter.

If you press space, the garbage stops piling up. The difference is this:

Code: Select all

-- lots of garbage
updateStepper2()
updateStepper1()

-- no garbage
updateStepper1()
updateStepper2()
The code looks a bit messy because it's taken from a larger project and reduced to a minimal working example. The real project accumulates many more megabytes of garbage per second, for no apparent reason.

You can also make it stop by removing this part from the code:

ops[0] = function() end
ops[1] = function() end
ops[2] = function() end
But this array of functions is an important part of the project and can't really be changed to something else.

Maybe someone here can tell me what LuaJIT's problem with this is. I'm out of ideas.
Attachments
garbage.love
(722 Bytes) Downloaded 379 times
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Garbage going crazy

Post by pgimeno »

Without much analysis, I think what you see is that the short loop (1..10) is stopping the trace. Unrolling it solves the issue.

In interpreted mode, FFI sucks. If you add jit.off() at the beginning, you'll see the memory grow with either test case.

This crashes in just a few iterations:

collectgarbage("stop")

jit.off()

repeat
  local sum = 1LL
  for i = 1, 1000000 do
    sum = sum + 1LL
  end
  print(collectgarbage("count"))
until false
So does this:

collectgarbage("stop")

repeat
  local sum = 1LL
  for i = 1, 1000000 do
    sum = sum + 1LL
    for j = 1, 10 do
      sum = sum + 2LL
    end
  end
  print(collectgarbage("count"))
until false
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

pgimeno wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:40 pm Without much analysis, I think what you see is that the short loop (1..10) is stopping the trace. Unrolling it solves the issue.
Thanks for checking.

I have these two big components in my project that rely heavily on ffi types, and they both perform well on their own. But as soon as both of them are updated, performance tanks - instead of .5 ms per update, they now require up to 20 ms each, with huge fluctuations and lots of GC activity. It runs okay for a short while, then gets slower and slower until it becomes unusable.

Since you mentioned loop unrolling I tried this:

jit.opt.start(3, '-loop', 'maxtrace=5000', 'hotloop=100')
Things are MUCH better with these options, framerate stabilised again and memory comsumption stays low. Thanks a lot!

I should try to get a trace log but it's a bit difficult when you use LÖVE.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Nice fix.
grump wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:44 am I should try to get a trace log but it's a bit difficult when you use LÖVE.
Try with: require 'jit.dump'.on() and .off()
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

pgimeno wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm Nice fix.
It fixed the garbage problem, but there's still huge performance fluctuations between runs. Most of the time it takes a constant 2 ms per update, other times it takes 4-6 ms. Once in a while it only takes .4 ms. It decides how fast it wants to run at every start and sticks to its decision until the next start. I asked in a Lua(JIT) community about these fluctuations that I'm seeing all the time, but the consensus was that I'm just stupid and delusional because it can't happen.
pgimeno wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm Try with: require 'jit.dump'.on() and .off()
That doesn't work for me.

Error: [string "boot.lua"]:530: conf.lua:2: module 'jit.dump' not found:
I also tried jit.dump without the require. No dice. No google results either.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

I love it when you present evidence to a community and they're calling you stupid and delusional.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

grump wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 pm It fixed the garbage problem, but there's still huge performance fluctuations between runs. Most of the time it takes a constant 2 ms per update, other times it takes 4-6 ms. Once in a while it only takes .4 ms. It decides how fast it wants to run at every start and sticks to its decision until the next start. I asked in a Lua(JIT) community about these fluctuations that I'm seeing all the time, but the consensus was that I'm just stupid and delusional because it can't happen.
Sounds like the "magical" issues i had with FFI myself, with some audio modules i coded that ran with speeds varying like that... doing casting shenanigans between integers and floats with unions...
grump wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 pm
pgimeno wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm Try with: require 'jit.dump'.on() and .off()

Error: [string "boot.lua"]:530: conf.lua:2: module 'jit.dump' not found:
I also tried jit.dump without the require. No dice. No google results either.
I think i got auah to give me some precompiled extra luajit stuff earlier that löve didn't have that i could just put into my project and what allowed me to do some debug stuff live; i can try to find it tomorrow when i'm not at work, if you're interested.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

zorg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:26 pm Sounds like the "magical" issues i had with FFI myself, with some audio modules i coded that ran with speeds varying like that... doing casting shenanigans between integers and floats with unions...
I see it all the time. The more you deviate from standard Lua code, the more it becomes apparent. But it also happens with innocuous Lua code. There is definitely some random element to LJ's heuristics.
I think i got auah to give me some precompiled extra luajit stuff earlier that löve didn't have that i could just put into my project and what allowed me to do some debug stuff live; i can try to find it tomorrow when i'm not at work, if you're interested.
Please do.

Edit: oh, precompiled... if that means binaries compiled for Windows then I can't use it.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

grump wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 pmI asked in a Lua(JIT) community about these fluctuations that I'm seeing all the time, but the consensus was that I'm just stupid and delusional because it can't happen.
FWIW you're not the first one to run into these issues. https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88029
grump wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 pm
Oops. Maybe it does for me because I have LuaJIT installed system-wide. You need the jit library from the LuaJIT sources. https://github.com/LuaJIT/LuaJIT/tree/v2.0/src/jit (or v2.1 depending on your version)
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

pgimeno wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 am Oops. Maybe it does for me because I have LuaJIT installed system-wide.
Hm, me too. I'll look into it later, thank you.

Just to add a little bit more weirdness:

local inRange = self.y - y < self.spriteSize
if not inRange then return end
Speed before adding these two lines: 500+ fps
Speed after adding these two lines: 30-40 fps

Because I know LuaJIT is weird, I changed it to this:

local inRange = self.y - y < self.spriteSize
for i = 1, 100 do
    if not inRange then return end
end
Speed with this loop instead of returning immediately: 500+ fps.

This crap is killing me, lol.