Troubleshooting LOVE Initialization

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
shyra
Prole

Troubleshooting LOVE Initialization

Post by shyra »

Okay, please don't laugh. I'm trying to start LOVE on my Eee PC 1015PE (Intel Atom N450 IGPU -- basically GMA 3150)

I'm running CrunchBang++ on Linux 4.19. It sounds strange and exotic, but it's mostly just Debian 10 running LXDE.

LOVE and SDL2 are in the repository (11.2 and 2.0.9 respectively) and installed successfully.

However, just running LOVE (either with no code or even just a simple Hello, world! script) results in a couple of windows being rapidly created and destroyed and then an Xorg error output to the console:

Code: Select all

X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  4 (X_DestroyWindow)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x3c00014
  Serial number of failed request:  303
  Current serial number in output stream:  308
My best guess at what's happening (from pouring through the documentation and this forum) is that LOVE is trying to automatically find a compatible window renderer setting / bit depth / etc. but that at some point it creates a window with parameters that trigger a bug somewhere between the driver and Xorg which causes the window to be destroyed early. Then when it tries to destroy that unsuccessful window itself, it generates the above error and crashes back to the console.

My question is: is it possible to print debug information to the console (like love.graphics.getRendererInfo()) within config.lua, before LOVE even tries initializing a renderer? Because config.lua is definitely loading and executing correctly. If so, what callback can I use to trigger that?

Ideally, I'd like to use information returned from love.graphics.getRendererInfo() and possibly canvasFormats to set window parameters in conf.lua, since that definitely seems to be getting executed before LOVE crashes.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have! And no, I'm not doing primary development on this machine, I just thought I'd give it a try.
Last edited by shyra on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Troubleshooting LOVE Initialization

Post by GVovkiv »

I also have notebook with intel atom 450 and possible reason, why it happens because love need opengl at least 2.0, but officialy GMA supports only 1.4 and things like this may happens
Try download lubuntu, burn it on usb and try run on it love, it may possible make love 2d lauchable on GMA 3150 (at least, it works for me)
shyra
Prole

Post by shyra »

GVovkiv wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:42 pm Try download lubuntu, burn it on usb and try run on it love, it may possible make love 2d lauchable on GMA 3150 (at least, it works for me)
I'll give that a try, thanks!
shyra
Prole

Post by shyra »

That worked! Hopefully I don't have any additional issues during the initialization phase, but this is looking extremely promising (and surprisingly smooth). I'll install Lubuntu to the machine's SSD and do some additional testing.

Thanks!
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (64.59 KiB) Viewed 4839 times
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

shyra wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:06 pm That worked! Hopefully I don't have any additional issues during the initialization phase, but this is looking extremely promising (and surprisingly smooth). I'll install Lubuntu to the machine's SSD and do some additional testing.

Thanks!

screenshot.jpg
Nice!