Easy way to split gifs?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
blackout_alex
Prole

Easy way to split gifs?

Post by blackout_alex »

I am wondering if their is a simple way to take a gif and turn it into a tiled image, that I could then use in LOVE. I could split it into frames and arrange them in photoshop, but i am wondering if there is a better/faster way before I do that.
pk
Citizen

Re: Easy way to split gifs?

Post by pk »

What you are referring to is called a sprite sheet. Off the top of my head, I know Pro Motion and GraphicsGale support automatically creating a sprite sheet from individual frames. Both these programs require $$$ though.

[edit]

I just tried out ASEPRITE and it also supports sprite sheets. It's free and open source.
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: Easy way to split gifs?

Post by veethree »

I don't think there's any automated ways of doing this. I'd suggest using something like GIF frame extractor to extract the frames then arrange them in some photo editing software (as you mentioned in your post). This could indeed be time consuming if you're dealing with alot of frames.

Gif frame extractor download