question about Love.js security

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
MrFariator
Party member

Re: question about Love.js security

Post by MrFariator »

I will warn you though, that adds quite a bit of complexity to the game's development, and in worst case scenario might even make the game less fun to play if latency is any major concern. Quite a bit of effort to put into something when there is no guarantee you'll even get that many players, rendering any worries over code theft moot.

Games are a case where the code base often isn't the most interesting part anyway. It might be tailor-made to suit the specific game, involving a lot game-specific logic, stuff that would be too bothersome to transplant into another project, maybe even engine hacks. Rarely can you take an existing game's code, and write another, new game with it without putting significant work in. At most you might end up with mods, level packs, or similar. Consider something like VVVVVV's source code: even if you had your hands on it before the developer put it out there, I don't think majority would've tried to make their own clone with it. If anything, the most useful part of your game's code is likely to be the set of libraries you might use, and those are already likely to have a very permissive license.

Basically, unless your code solves the P=NP problem, there are better things to steal from your project than your code.
atenzor
Prole

Post by atenzor »

Considering it is based on Legend of Zelda, it will get many players interested, so the numbers are most likely guaranteed.

But I totally understand what you are saying, I will take that into consideration and still think about it of course.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

So your question is basically "How can I protect my work that's based on someone else's work that I'm just gonna steal?"

Nice. Good luck with that.
atenzor
Prole

Post by atenzor »

I am not stealing anything, not sure what you mean. This will not be for sale. It will be for free. The concept of stealing makes sense only if you are going to make money out of it. And as far as I know, I am making my own code in Lua, Nintendo never did anything in Lua, or at least not for Zelda.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

Just because you make it available for free doesn't stop Nintendo from come knocking on your project. What technologies you employ is irrelevant, as any cursory google search will show.
atenzor
Prole

Post by atenzor »

I could in that case make it like what PokeMMO is doing, so basically, the assets are not coming from them, you the user have to provide the assets and the game will just use them, but the game itself has nothing to do with Nintendo. PokeMMO is still going on even after all these years using that method, so might do it in a similar way.
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

That's certainly one way to do it, and is effectively how many rom hack and modder communities exist today, but now not only are you asking players to provide their own means of loading the graphics... But you are also applying what is effectively a DRM scheme to protect your code? Frankly, this is getting more cumbersome by the minute, not only for you, but also any prospective players.
atenzor
Prole

Post by atenzor »

Well hard to say without trying right? So at the very least, I will try, and if not... well I will not consider the DRM scheme as you call it.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

atenzor wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:46 pm For me, it's not about the money, it's about someone else claiming they did what I did and I don't want that.

I want to be "known" as the only person who managed to implement that, you feel me?
Like notch and the 1000000 minecraft clones? Oh no wait he is famous and rich despite those :D

I’m sorry but anything you do, can be copied regardless of what you do. The sooner you drop this obsession with trying to protect it the sooner you can go back to creating :)

The only way to fully protect it is to never release anything.
atenzor
Prole

Post by atenzor »

I am very confident I can manage to protect it with all that I have learned from this topic and other sources.

Like I said, I will try, doesn't hurt trying. Back to creating? I am already creating basically, this protection will just be after
on top, like a layer added.

When you say never release to protect, that is completely ridiculous, tons of games out there no one even managed to reach the source code of the game, because it's hard to reverse engineer it. So it's possible. Yes, might be hard, but possible.