Love2d on macbook with Apple chip

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Anuj Dada
Prole

Love2d on macbook with Apple chip

Post by Anuj Dada »

I am considering buying the new macbook with Apple silicon but I am highly in doubt whether I will be able to run love 2d on macbook with Apple chip. Can anyone please help me on this?
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: Love2d on macbook with Apple chip

Post by Nixola »

Anuj Dada wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 am I am considering buying the new macbook with Apple silicon but I am highly in doubt whether I will be able to run love 2d on macbook with Apple chip. Can anyone please help me on this?
From what I know, it should at the very least be able to run via Rosetta 2, as should every other x86/x86_64 app.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
midouest
Prole

Post by midouest »

Can confirm - Love2D runs perfectly in Rosetta 2 on Apple Silicon.

Now if only I could figure out how to compile Love2D from source on macOS...
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

Someone in Discord managed to compile LOVE for Apple Silicon. Maybe if you join our Discord and ask them for the build?

Anyway quoting slime from Discord:
You'd need to recompile each framework to have an arm64 binary, and the way to compile each framework from source depends on the specific one - for example luajit has its own custom build script, SDL2 has an xcode project (that'll be the easiest, if you get the latest SDL2 source code), and most of the others have cmake files which can be used to generate xcode projects
EDIT: Oh sorry didn't noticed the date of this post, that was you who compiled LOVE for Apple Silicon.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!