Help creating a multiplayer game

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Leonardo2450
Prole

Help creating a multiplayer game

Post by Leonardo2450 »

Hi, I am planning to create a small game as a kind of test that is multiplayer. Something simple like two cubes moving and something else. Searching I discovered Lua-enet so I decided to try it, however I don't understand how to use it. So I directly came here, to the forum to ask you how to make a multiplayer game.
-Leonardo2450-
[DATA EXPUNGED] Argentinian looking for something to do in his spare time. :awesome:
ivan
Party member

Re: Help creating a multiplayer game

Post by ivan »

Making a multiplayer game is NOT a small task. The first significant hurdle is that it's hard to establish a socket connection between two peers due to the network translation of ports. Then you have to think about determinism and possibly some sort of a rewind/predication mechanism.
In short, it's difficult to make a real-time multiplayer game. I would recommend starting out with something smaller, preferably turn-based.
nikneym
Citizen

Re: Help creating a multiplayer game

Post by nikneym »

I don't recommend starting with making a multiplayer game either but if you desperately want it, you can take a look at sock.lua, an ENet and lua-enet based networking library. It's easy to understand and has 3 good examples to work on.

There are also lua-enet and luasocket but as far as I know, these two are more complex than the sock.