Using Lua-stdlib

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
dogstar25
Prole

Using Lua-stdlib

Post by dogstar25 »

Hi,

Does anyone here use or recommend using the lua-stdlib for games?
https://github.com/lua-stdlib/lua-stdlib

I like the idea of tested, standard, code, but I feel like it may be getting to complex for what's supposed to be a super-simple language. If I want classes, OOP, and generally more complex abstractions , I would probably just go back to c++.

Thanks
zorg
Party member

Re: Using Lua-stdlib

Post by zorg »

i'd rather not recommend lua-stdlib after looking at what it implements and how (very sparse and specific additions i'm not sure that are even needed tbh); if you are lacking something you need, i feel like you should just write that one thing yourself... or look at someone else's specific implementation for it.

That said, imo there's nothing wrong with using any of those abstractions you mentioned with lua. oop, classes, or ecs; they're mostly for writing tidier code... if they have been implemented well enough, they'll be optimized enough to not cause any issues anyway.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
ReFreezed
Party member

Re: Using Lua-stdlib

Post by ReFreezed »

I agree with zorg. That library collection doesn't look very useful. It's better to focus on specific problems as they appear. As you say, simplicity is part of the idea of Lua, and adding "standard" things that you don't for sure know will help is only going to be clutter. Game development is messy and hard enough as it is, so the less things that isn't part of the game the better.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."