[SOLVED] Love 11.3 replacePixels on Android not working?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
4KbShort
Prole

[SOLVED] Love 11.3 replacePixels on Android not working?

Post by 4KbShort »

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to port a demo game over to Android to test out if it's working and I keep getting an error I don't get on the PC.
Somewhere between v9 and v11 image:refresh was replaced with image:replacePixels and I use it in a splash screen to make an image change. It works on the PC version of Love 11.3, but the Android APK 11.3 version throws an error:

splash.lua:28: attempt to call method 'replacePixels' (a nil value)

Now the APK file I'm using has been compiled and signed according to the Love Wiki and seems to at least load before crashing with this error. Also I know the images are included because before I compile to APK I tested the .love and it worked fine. Do any Android developers know why this might be the case? Or anyone?
Last edited by 4KbShort on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
zorg
Party member

Re: Love 11.3 replacePixels on Android not working?

Post by zorg »

what's your actual code where you call replacePixels? Seeing that might help in identifying the issue.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

It sounds like either the version of love you're running on Android is older than 11.0, or you're calling replacePixels on the wrong object.
4KbShort
Prole

Post by 4KbShort »

Here's the full code of the splash screen. It runs independently of the rest of the demo. I've also attached the zipped .love so you can run it if you want. It's a horrible mess and just tests features I was looking into, but it works. XD
Oh and for those who don't trace it I use a shortcut.lua file that points things like "love.graphics" to just "lg" and so forth so those aren't typos, promise!

Edit: Forgot to add that the version of LOVE for Android is the one from here:
https://github.com/love2d/love/releases ... -embed.apk
Which is the one the WIKI points to for APK compiling.

Code: Select all

--! Update and draw the splash/logo screen with this file

local splash = {}

local logoTime = 10
local logoData = li.newImageData("imgs/logo/somewarelogo.png")
local logoDataB = li.newImageData("imgs/logo/somewarelogob.png")
local logo = lg.newImage(logoData)
local logob = lg.newImage(logoDataB)
local logoWidth = logo:getWidth()
local logoHeight = logo:getHeight()
local waitTime = 1
local currentPixelX = 0

--local theme = la.play("audio/music/Splash.wav","stream",false,"music")

function splash:updateSplash()
	dt = lt.getDelta( )
	if logoTime > 0 then logoTime = logoTime - dt end
	if logoTime <= 0 or pressedKey ~= "" then la.stop(theme) logoTime = 0 activeScene = 1  pressedKey = "" end
end

function swapPixels()
	if currentPixelX < 260 then currentPixelX = currentPixelX + 2 end

logoDataB:paste(logoData,currentPixelX,0,currentPixelX,0,1,logoHeight)
	logoDataB:paste(logoData,currentPixelX -1,0,currentPixelX-1,0,1,logoHeight)
	logob:replacePixels(logoDataB)
end

function splash:drawSplash()
	swapPixels()
	--Maybe do something fun with the little * dude cuz reasons.
	lg.setColor(85,255,255)
	lg.print("*", currentPixelX+20, 65)
	lg.setColor(255,255,255)
	lg.draw(logob, (windowWidth /2) - (logoWidth /2), (windowHeight /2) - (logoHeight /2))
end

return splash
Attachments
core.love
(157.27 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

If you comment out the replacePixels line and add this to the end of splash:drawSplash(), what do you get?

Code: Select all

lg.print(("Version=%d, luatype=%s, lovetype=%s"):format(love.__version_major, type(logob),
   type(logob)=="userdata" and logob:type() or "?"))
It should be Version=11, luatype=userdata, lovetype=Image
4KbShort
Prole

Post by 4KbShort »

@pgimeno So I did what you asked and fun fact: the APK no longer installs. :/ Recompiled it about four times and it keeps getting an error. Did a little investigating and it seems I may have bumped into an old vs new issue.

So the other shoe is this: I'm trying to load this up on an OUYA, for... reasons and old versions of LOVE2D work fine, but the newest release of the Love2D for Android and, now apparently any versions of APKs compiled with the new version fail. This is probably due to an Android 4.1 vs 4.2 issue as I've discovered. If Love2D has moved to the Android 4.2 framework then that's that and without modding my Ouya I'm stuck which I think is the issue here. So while I can get a game that crashes on startup to load or even a game on Love 10 or 9 to work anything on 11+ is going to fail outright.

For now I have to table the Love2D side of the problem until I can get the OUYA side figured out.

Thanks again for all the assistance and I'll try to update this when I get somewhere. :)
4KbShort
Prole

Post by 4KbShort »

So I went through a bunch of stuff and ended up installing Lineage OS (CM11) on my Ouya which put it at Android 4.4.4 apparently. Tried my APK packed love games that way and they're still failing one way or the other. Either replacepixel fails, the APK fails to install, or if the game is super simple it runs fine. All things happening on the native Ouya OS. So I have to assume the problem is with my code and not what I'm trying to run it on.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Have you tried the line I proposed above? What's the result?

Older versions used (Image):refresh.
4KbShort
Prole

Post by 4KbShort »

Yes, I did.
I figured out the best solution was to stick with Love 10.3. Image:refresh works fine, but replacepixel in 11 does not. No idea why.
Since I'll never use anything 11 offers for a simple game I'm not too concerned. I consider this solved, even though the solution was to back down a few version. :)

Thanks again for all the help!