LOVE fails with "No matching fbConfigs or visuals found" on Linux (other OpenGL applications work)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
RonanZero
Citizen

LOVE fails with "No matching fbConfigs or visuals found" on Linux (other OpenGL applications work)

Post by RonanZero »

LOVE versions tried: 0.8.0 (package) and 0.10.2 (compiled)

Code: Select all

> love
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  32
  Current serial number in output stream:  33
Surely this must be a LOVE problem because `glxgears` (GL test) and `torcs` (3d game) run fine. Not only that but I'm able to run my own project which opens and SDL+OpenGL window again it runs fine. I don't know how LOVE is initializing graphics (maybe it's trying to use a weird OpenGL version) but it's probably what's causing problems.
while true do end;
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: LOVE fails with "No matching fbConfigs or visuals found" on Linux (other OpenGL applications work)

Post by slime »

LÖVE doesn't do many special things when creating its SDL window and OpenGL context. It uses the default OpenGL version set by SDL (GL ~2.1). Do other games/programs that use SDL2 work, such as Steam's Big Picture mode?
zorg
Party member

Re: LOVE fails with "No matching fbConfigs or visuals found" on Linux (other OpenGL applications work)

Post by zorg »

https://askubuntu.com/questions/541343/ ... ach-update
Just some googling around, may or may not be all that relevant.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
RonanZero
Citizen

Post by RonanZero »

zorg wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:58 am https://askubuntu.com/questions/541343/ ... ach-update
Just some googling around, may or may not be all that relevant.
Here's the verbose output

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose ./love                         
libGL: screen 0 does not appear to be DRI2 capable
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/omega/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/omega/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Weird that it says

does not appear to be DRI2 capable
because according to Wikipedia "The main use of DRI is to provide hardware acceleration for the Mesa implementation of OpenGL." But I don't use the Mesa Nvidia drivers, I use the proprietary Nvidia drivers. `swrast` is apparently a software renderer, so one of two things is possible: 1. It's trying to to fall back to software rendering because it wants to use Mesa drivers, not proprietary drivers or 2. It's a warning that's not related to the real error at all.

I could try compiling it opposite of default architecture (32bit or 64bit) I don't know how to set it though, or what architecture it even defaults to but I would guess 64bit, which might be broken for me.
while true do end;
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I knew i should have linked in the other as well :v
https://askubuntu.com/questions/834254/ ... r-failed-t
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
RonanZero
Citizen

Post by RonanZero »

zorg wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:38 am I knew i should have linked in the other as well :v
https://askubuntu.com/questions/834254/ ... r-failed-t
Thanks for trying to help but I never installed mesa in the first place and the ldconfig output is normal for me (no mesa files)
while true do end;
eliddell
Prole

Post by eliddell »

Well, from one Gentoo user to another, here's a bunch of things you can try or check (although the one time I had a problem like this, it affected all OpenGL programs, not just Löve):

Just in case, make sure you've done the obvious stuff with eselect ("eselect opengl set nvidia"). Make sure "nvidia" is included in the list returned by lsmod (that is, that it's the driver being loaded by the kernel).

Make sure that the nVidia driver is actually the one being loaded by OpenGL ("glxinfo | grep version" should give something like "OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.135"—my card is older, but it's the "NVIDIA" that's important). If you get something else, you may have a bad LD_LIBRARY_PATH or a missing symlink.

Re-emerge opengl, libsdl, and nvidia-drivers. Just in case.

Try one or more of the love-0.10.2 ebuilds from various overlays (there are at least three, per http://gpo.zugaina.org/games-engines/love ) to make sure you're not getting problems due to lack of ebuild maintenance in the main tree or missing requirements information.