Starting of any Love2d program is very slow

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
KeplerFinn
Prole

Starting of any Love2d program is very slow

Post by KeplerFinn »

Hi,

I'm running love 0.10.1 in Windows 7 using the simple command line instruction:

Code: Select all

love .
inside the directory containing a main.lua file

The issue is that no matter what Love program I try to run, be it a self written game or a simple hello world, it takes easily 30 seconds before the program renders from a white empty window to the actual game/program itself.
Now, once the program is running, the rendering seems to run very smoothly. So I don't think its necessarily a performance issue.
As said, even the simplest hello world exposes this issue.

function love.draw()
    love.graphics.print("Hello World", 400, 300)
end
Even simply running "love" without any file/directory takes tens of seconds before the "no game" placeholder animation appears.

After running the command, instantly a white window pops up. However, it stays empty (and seems unresponsive) for tens of seconds. Sometimes it's about 3 seconds, but most of the time it's half a minute.
Is this a known bug ?
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Starting of any Love2d program is very slow

Post by slime »

I don't think I've seen that before. Do you have any antivirus software that may be scanning in the background? If you use an older LÖVE version such as 0.9.2 (downloads available on this page: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/downloads ) does it still happen?
KeplerFinn
Prole

Post by KeplerFinn »

I tried 0.9.2 and there my program starts instantly.
Both versions were 64bit btw.
Shutting off my virus scanner doesn't seem to affect anything but it was worth the try.

I wonder if it's just me.

It's not a deal breaker but it's definitely slowing me down in my development.

The fact that 0.10.1 is not backwards compatible doesn't help much either.
KeplerFinn
Prole

Post by KeplerFinn »

The 32bit version is just as bad.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

For me, the "white screen" time is variable, but never longer than 1-2 seconds, on Win7 x64 as well.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

What are the four return results of [wiki]love.graphics.getRendererInfo[/wiki] on your system?

In love 0.10.0 and newer, the code for creating a window and an OpenGL context repeatedly tries different configurations until it finds one which supports the minimum requirements (OpenGL 2.1 or OpenGL ES 2.0). Repeatedly creating and destroying a window has been very fast on every system I've tested personally, but it seems like it might be slow on your computer - and it might be trying a bunch of different configurations until one works.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Mine's:

OpenGL
NVIDIA 359.06
NVIDIA Corporation
GeForce GTX Ti/PCIe/SSE2
(I'm aware that that's not the latest driver, but it is the latest that my older graphics card supports in terms of VGA output.)
Baseless idea, but could it be slow because i have a multi-gpu multi-monitor setup? (or does 1-2 seconds even count as slow? it's not as bad as KeplerFinn's 3-30 seconds.)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

It takes maybe 1/5th of a second for LOVE to start up for me on Windows 10 with an nvidia geforce 1070. It takes roughly that amount of time on my other computer with Windows 8.1 and an AMD Radeon 6750m as well.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

To me it starts instantly on Linux with old radeonsi driver.
KeplerFinn
Prole

Post by KeplerFinn »

Mine:

OpenGL
NVIDEA Corporation
GeForce GT 240M/PCIe/SSE2
Yes, I'm running on a notebook.

Anyway, given the fact that it runs fast on 0.9.2 but slow on 0.10.1 makes this a regression issue, don't you think?