Why was JPEG encoding/GIF decoding removed?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

Re: Why was JPEG encoding/GIF decoding removed?

Post by Someguynamedpie »

Whoops, mixed up LZW with another algo, it'll be pretty easy to implement in Lua so I'll just go this route.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Since Löve uses LuaJIT, you could go the FFI route too, if you're certain the given bitops libs are that slow on the lua side as well; write an unLZW lib in C, and then load and use it on the lua side.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

The FFI route isn't acceptable here due to the desire to maintain cross platform capabilities.
The bitops are very fast, its just that there's no actual operators making it a pain to use.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

@zorg Hello Frank. (Erm ... Dick ...)

@someguynamedpie @bartbes @slime As with many features discussed, I am happy to see JPEG and GIF go. The less features we have in the framework, the more we can concentrate on making the core of the framework better.

But with many features (e.g. IDEs, animation libraries, networking libraries, serial communication, encryption, etc) love "easily" allows through JIT for love to go above and beyond the call of duty - and just like Lua, that's kind of the design philosphy. "Do one thing, and do it well". At this point though, while you won't have the entire love community to help you, there are still plenty of folks who are interested in doing "wacky" things for the sake of "science".

With my implementation of the pure lua LoveVideo module, the community forks and refactors really showed that this was something people wanted. Enough interest came abount, and the love developers added the awesome love.video module using libtheora!

@someguynamedpie My advice to you is: prove to us we need it. Show us what advantages we would have by adding these features by implementing them:

* Fully by hosting binaries / hosting repos (See LuaSec, LuaSQLite3 for some bins I host) and showing people how to use them
* By writing utterly crap modules showing how experimental usage could improve the framework (See my hilariously bad and horrible original video implementation)
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

One of my test projects got video working in Love2D using libvlc, if you want to talk about oversized libraries.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Someguynamedpie wrote:One of my test projects got video working in Love2D using libvlc, if you want to talk about oversized libraries.
[wiki]love.video[/wiki] circa 0.10 :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

Psh, love.video only supports theora, libvlc supports literally everything (cough including DVDs)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Someguynamedpie wrote:One of my test projects got video working in Love2D using libvlc, if you want to talk about oversized libraries.
Interestingly enough I did write a prototype with libvlc, which was all kinds of awkward, but mostly because it had its own lua interpreter, which was conflicting with love's. In particular, my libvlc is built against lua 5.3, and love against luajit, that caused instant crashes. I have since written an implementation using ffmpeg though, which we're unlikely to ever ship with love, because of the way it's licensed, but you could use as an addon library.
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

On the subject of licenses, yall are aware that most openal implementations use LGPL right
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

But yeah I don't have the source anymore due to a harddrive failure but I got around the Lua linking problem somehow that I don't remember