Weird error, not sure what it means

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Vimm
Party member

Weird error, not sure what it means

Post by Vimm »

I keep having this problem, after my program runs for a few seconds, an error shows up on the console but the program doesnt crash

[0x7FFF93E1B390] ANOMALY: meaningless REX prefix used

a few seconds after this shows up, the window clears itself, as in it becomes blank. I dont know why this is happening, any ideas?

I've attached the love file, but my friend tried this on his computer and this error didn't happen.

some people say its a problem with drivers, but I've updated everything and ive also uninstalled and reinstalled all my drivers, so idk

Heres a video I made on what happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrciXm6BaAQ

--NOTE

That error message may have nothing to do with the window clearing. I've noticed that if I run the .love and then click on my desktop, so that the program window isn't focused, I still get the anomaly but the window doesn't clear, the program keeps running as normal. This makes me think it may just be a problem with LOVE (0.10.1 64 bit), but I still don't know how to fix it

SOLUTION!!

DOWNGRADING FROM LOVE 0.10.1 TO 0.9.2 SEEMED TO FIX IT, THE WINDOW NO LONGER RANDOMLY CLEARS.

Leaving this up for anyone else with the issue
Attachments
AnnoyingBug.love
(638 Bytes) Downloaded 138 times
Last edited by Vimm on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
D0NM
Party member

Re: Weird error, not sure what it means

Post by D0NM »

Checked your program. https://www.google.com/search?q=ANOMALY ... refix+used
Seems legit ^_^

Seems as a driver error. What is your video card name?
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
Vimm
Party member

Post by Vimm »

D0NM wrote:Checked your program. https://www.google.com/search?q=ANOMALY ... refix+used
Seems legit ^_^

I've already googled it, none of the solutions people have given apply to me, most of them say its a problem with AVG, but I dont have AVG installed.

Here's a video I made showing what happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrciXm6BaAQ
Vimm
Party member

Post by Vimm »

D0NM wrote:Checked your program. https://www.google.com/search?q=ANOMALY ... refix+used
Seems legit ^_^

also my video card is the AMD Radeon R9 200 series
davidmekersa
Prole

Post by davidmekersa »

Same here, with a Radeon R7 200.
Not happening with Love 0.9 too.
Nutte
Prole

Post by Nutte »

Your error not happen for me. I have Love 0.10.1
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

That's almost definitely a graphics driver bug. love.graphics in 0.10 does some different things than 0.9, and the bug in the driver is likely only triggered when a certain sequence of OpenGL function calls are executed, so it makes sense that it would happen in one love version and not another.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

All info of this bug is mostly related to minecraft or java; that said, other forums had people suggest reinstalling or updating the graphics drivers; maybe that'd solve the issue.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Minecraft is the most popular game that uses OpenGL. :)
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

As a slight bump to this but a logical close: I ran into the same issue after upgrading my video card to an R7 370 (I had one, I took advantage of it), but it wouldn't outright crash any windows or anything.

The problem's solved once you either update your drivers, or reinstall them entirely. Make sure you're using the right driver series that AMD offers and you should be good to go; if you've changed GPUs or the like, always reinstall drivers anyhoo :p

make sure you're also reinstalling the correct drivers! I was accidentally installing the wrong driver set in the past, when I needed a different package entirely. Another thing to note is to ensure that your drivers are WHQL certified, just to be safe, but you could most likely ignore that if you wanted

tldr: make sure you're installing the right driver, that solved the issue for me, should do the same for you
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor