Love2D still seems to be the easiest and simplest 2d engine

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
iPoisonxL
Party member

Love2D still seems to be the easiest and simplest 2d engine

Post by iPoisonxL »

Hello all.

I have been trying to move to HTML5 canvas to do game programming, because typically, I only need to do a quick test that may include only a square and/or some physics. The question is: If I'm trying to move away from this engine (mainly because I want to get into web game development), where are some good places to start for HTML5/Javascript?

I already have a very strong grasp of HTML, CSS, and Javascript. But the way Javascript handles some events for keys and for drawing canvases confuses me a lot. Can you guys point me towards any tutorials oriented for Love2D developers?

Love2D is literally my favourite game making engine and it's got the simplest usage and I absolutely love it. That's why it's so difficult to get into other engines, because they're often so different.

So, again, can you point me in the right direction for HTML5 canvas development?

Thank you so much everyone, in advance

Code: Select all

L
    L Ö
    Ö V
L Ö V E
Ö B E
V E
E Y
Website
kbmonkey
Party member

Re: Love2D still seems to be the easiest and simplest 2d eng

Post by kbmonkey »

You can start by using a HTML5 game framework to get the ideas rolling, and from there transition into pure canvas manipulation. That is a good place to start, as you hit the ground running and gradually dive into the plumbing as you progress. I can recommend http://phaser.io

On the other hand there is Motor2D Love-to-Web port in development :awesome: