LOVE not working in general on Windows

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
habile
Prole

LOVE not working in general on Windows

Post by habile »

Attempting to run a project displays the 'no game!' window, and 'love --version' outputs a single empty line.

I've tried all four installation packages: 32/64bit, and zip/installer.

I'm on a fresh install of Windows 8.1. Very few things have been installed: NVidia/printer/sound drivers, Unreal engine, VS 2013, Steam, and anti-virus (disabling does not help).

Not exactly sure how to troubleshoot this sort of problem. I tried running love.exe through dependency walker, which showed a few missing libraries:
API-MS-WIN-CORE-KERNEL32-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-PRIVATEPROFILE-L1-1-1.DLL
API-MS-WIN-SERVICE-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL
EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL

Despite that, there are no error or warning messages when running love.
Jeeper
Party member

Re: LOVE not working in general on Windows

Post by Jeeper »

Have you tried running someone else's game or just your own?

PS. a lot of people who have similar issues have it due to:
1: Making a .rar file instead of a .zip file.
2: Zipping the folder containing the files, rather than all of the files themselves.
habile
Prole

Post by habile »

Thank you for the response. I'm not trying to make a .love file, but just run some code. I've used LOVE before on Windows and linux, and this is the first time I've run into this problem. I'm assuming it has to do with the installation of the framework, as even 'love --version' does nothing.
bizziboi
Citizen

Post by bizziboi »

Not that I can be of any help, but my love installation works perfectly fine (just 'love' brings up the no game screen) , but 'love --version' does nothing, so it might not be a good indication of whether your install is messed up.
habile
Prole

Post by habile »

Ohh. You're absolutely right. I didn't think of checking the version behavior on different machine. I poorly assumed that it was an issue with the install, and didn't look further than passing the project directory into love; it turns out that it does work with .love files.

Thank you very much for that!