Common game translations

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ivan
Party member

Re: Common game translations

Post by ivan »

caldur wrote:All right, pretty much done with the translation. Pls note that:
1. There are items whose exact function I am not entirely sure of; I have inserted some comments to signify those
2. I used full-width characters for punctuations consistently. I am not sure how it will look when actually displayed in game, especially in combination with ASCII chars.
Wow, thanks so much for the help! :) I have added your translations to the online doc.
Unfortunately the example strings are not included in the ini file so there are a couple of confusing cases like "Press a button on $1" that should probably be removed from the project altogether.
Again, thank you for the contribution!!

PS. I've updated the ini files (see original post):
23 locales with Bulgarian, Spanish, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese Brazilian, Ukrainian and Chinese nearly completed.
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

caldur wrote:All right, pretty much done with the translation. Pls note that:
1. There are items whose exact function I am not entirely sure of; I have inserted some comments to signify those
2. I used full-width characters for punctuations consistently. I am not sure how it will look when actually displayed in game, especially in combination with ASCII chars.
Thank you very much!
You can reach so many people in chinese!
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hi there,

I reviewed the Spanish section, fixed some orthographic mistakes, replaced localisms by more standardized expressions, and added some missing entries.

Finding missing entries was difficult, so I have also added conditional formatting. When an entry is missing, its cell becomes red so it is easier to spot. If this is too much, let me know and I will remove it.

Edit:

On the "date" tab, consider adding shorter versions for the months and weekdays (jan, feb, mar, ... & sun, mon, tue, ...). For the weekdays I would even include the 1-letter version (S, M, T). And maybe the first day of the week (in some languages it starts on Sunday, while in others it starts on Monday).

On the territory section you might want to include the main astronomical bodies in the solar system (Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars ... and even some big moons like the Moon, Io, Titan or Phobos).
When I write def I mean function.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

kikito wrote:For the weekdays I would even include the 1-letter version (S, M, T).
In dutch, for instance, that leaves you with ambiguous days, and indeed days are shortened to two characters. I imagine more languages have things like this.
kikito wrote: And maybe the first day of the week (in some languages it starts on Sunday, while in others it starts on Monday).
As far as I know, that's not language-dependent, nor country-dependent, but rather the "sunday people" being wrong ;).
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

bartbes wrote:
kikito wrote:For the weekdays I would even include the 1-letter version (S, M, T).
In dutch, for instance, that leaves you with ambiguous days, and indeed days are shortened to two characters. I imagine more languages have things like this.
In Spanish, too. We just use an extraneous letter when that happens. Lunes, Martes, Miércoles, Jueves becomes L,M,X,J. The "X" comes from a magical place.
When I write def I mean function.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

I'm used to the LMMJVSD notation, since Miercoles always comes after Martes... (Spanglish feels so weird hahaha)

Thanks for reviewing what I wrote, I guessed that it had mistakes so I'm really thankful for your work

I like the planets idea and the short week/month names too
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

kikito wrote:I reviewed the Spanish section, fixed some orthographic mistakes, replaced localisms by more standardized expressions, and added some missing entries.

Finding missing entries was difficult, so I have also added conditional formatting. When an entry is missing, its cell becomes red so it is easier to spot. If this is too much, let me know and I will remove it.
Hey, that's pretty cool. Thanks a lot!
kikito wrote:On the "date" tab, consider adding shorter versions for the months and weekdays (jan, feb, mar, ... & sun, mon, tue, ...). For the weekdays I would even include the 1-letter version (S, M, T). And maybe the first day of the week (in some languages it starts on Sunday, while in others it starts on Monday).
Sure, we can do that. This data is imported from Unicode so it wouldn't be too hard.
The problem with the "first day of the week" is that it depends on the locale not the language.
So EN_US is different than EN_GB.
Unicode has data on "units" too (meters, hertz, etc) so I may add a page on different units in the future.
kikito wrote:On the territory section you might want to include the main astronomical bodies in the solar system (Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars ... and even some big moons like the Moon, Io, Titan or Phobos).
If you want to have something translated just add it to the doc. :)
It's an open project so don't be afraid to add whatever you like.
A dedicated page on astronomy might be pretty cool.
There is a program called Stellarium which is localized in a number of languages we may be able to import that in the future.

PS. Alright, I've added a page on astronomy. Could use some help with the conditional formatting though if anybody knows how to fix it. :)
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Added a page on transliteration.
It's generally used to convert non-Latin scripts in the Roman alphabet.
Not sure if we could make this work both ways.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Added "Latin" for technical terminology and numeral systems for each locale.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

@ivan This is a really great idea! Thanks very much for initiating this.