IM NEW

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
rokit boy
Party member

IM NEW

Post by rokit boy »

Hello fellow lua writers,

I have studied lua on the basics, and I wanted to make games. So I chose this engine, I got it from stabyourelf.net as I was playing Not Tetris.
I know the basics of love2d, now i'm trying to make a platformer, but this is the part where i'm stuck. I have no idea about physics in lua...
Can someone explain to me how a platformer works?
u wot m8
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: IM NEW

Post by TechnoCat »

I wrote a post about this actually to get people started: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2315&p=42275&hilit=+hardon#p42275
rokit boy
Party member

Post by rokit boy »

TechnoCat wrote:I wrote a post about this actually to get people started: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2315&p=42275&hilit=+hardon#p42275
I'd prefer to use the original physics since I don't like libraries.
u wot m8
RetroMan
Prole

Post by RetroMan »

I'd prefer to use the original physics since I don't like libraries.
You would probably want to look at Fizz then ... it's written in lua and doesn't use libraries ...

Other than that, you'll have to deal with libs sometime as there's only so much one can do in native lua ...

Cheers.
Old programmers never die, they just get disassembled...
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

If you don't like using libraries you will have to program one on your own. A platformer shouldn't have many physics related, you can take a look at Fizz and copy the parts you need ;)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

This article on Sonic 2 gives a great insight on one way to do it. http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
headchant
Party member

Post by headchant »

Lafolie wrote:This article on Sonic 2 gives a great insight on one way to do it. http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide
That is a very nice article. But I think it might be very hard to implement for someone who just learned Lua.

Just to complete the list: I wrote a small tutorial(well, part 2 is coming soon) for platformers in Löve with the external library HardonCollider: here
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

headchant wrote: Just to complete the list: I wrote a small tutorial(well, part 2 is coming soon) for platformers in Löve with the external library HardonCollider: here
Quick note about that tutorial: in the last block of code / line 70 of the full source, do you mean shape_b == her or should it be shape_b == hero?

Otherwise, very helpful little writeup, you should pimp it more.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
rokit boy
Party member

Post by rokit boy »

headchant wrote:
Lafolie wrote:This article on Sonic 2 gives a great insight on one way to do it. http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide
That is a very nice article. But I think it might be very hard to implement for someone who just learned Lua.

Just to complete the list: I wrote a small tutorial(well, part 2 is coming soon) for platformers in Löve with the external library HardonCollider: here
I've been learning lua for 3 years...
u wot m8