Suggestion: Event Object.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
appleide
Party member

Suggestion: Event Object.

Post by appleide »

Whenever event happens, eg. key press, mouse click, on quit, all of these "Event Handler Objects" will be notified.

It is basically a class with some empty functions - onClick, onMousePressed, onKeyPressed, etc.

when user calls "love.events.newEventHandler", a new object will be returned. The user can edit its functions, and when event happens, it will be notified and the corresponding function to the event will be called.

This reduces the number of loops the user will have to write in Lua inside the "function keyreleased( key ) ... end" and "function mousepressed( x, y, button ) ... end" and puts those loops in C instead, thus potentially increasing performance.

i.e, when user makes a set of buttons, user creates an eventhandler for each and every one of those button, instead of looping through each.

Not to mention it is rather convenient.

What do you think?

I have been doing an equivalent thing to LOVE for a while, and after poring over the LOVE documentation this is the only thing I have got to offer. ><
rude
Administrator

Re: Suggestion: Event Object.

Post by rude »

Yeah, I see how that can be useful, especially for GUI programming ...

But, because this is feairly easy to implement in Lua, and I don't think the performance gain will be that significant (even when there's many objects), I'm going to focus on more exiting stuff first, like physics (<-- mini preview).

But don't let that pulverize your feedback-mojo. Suggestions, requests, and demands are always welcome. ^^
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

this physics engine looks great!
Sardtok
Party member

Post by Sardtok »

rude wrote:I'm going to focus on more exiting stuff first, like physics (<-- mini preview).
Yeah, physics look awesome, but I think it's more exciting than exiting, but then again, I don't know exactly what it's supposed to be exiting.
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

:D

It's exiting. It's outta here!