[linux] Sound problem

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
farvardin
Party member

[linux] Sound problem

Post by farvardin »

if for one reason or one other the sound is not available on the computer, love refuses to start.

For example for me /dev/dsp had wrong permission, and I got:

"SDLMixerAudio: Unable to open audio!"

It should at least start the game with no sound...
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: [linux] Sound problem

Post by qubodup »

I agree, it would be a nice feature to be able to go without sound. Back in the days when I had many sound card problems, I noticed that quite a bunch of games wouldnt want to start without sound.

Since implementing a "computer doesnt want to make noise"-sensor is probably non-trivial, providing a command line option for going without sound would make sense.

I cant check right now if there is already such an option available :)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

Gah, I noticed this ages ago and completely forgot to tell rude. LÖVE should be muted by using the command line or something :S
triplefox
Prole

Post by triplefox »

I had made a new topic and then noticed this thread. I get apps fighting for control of sound on occasion and Love has fallen afoot of this problem.

There are (rare, nowadays) computers that have no sound card at all. They should still be able to run in a degraded form, at least.

(For the record: I hate SDL_mixer and have had no end of trouble with it the times I've worked with it. When it works it does the job, but it has a bare minimum of features.)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

triplefox wrote:(For the record: I hate SDL_mixer and have had no end of trouble with it the times I've worked with it. When it works it does the job, but it has a bare minimum of features.)
Are there better (and free) alternatives? SDL_mixer has some issues, but the only thing I'm really missing is pitch shift.
triplefox
Prole

Post by triplefox »

There aren't many alternatives, that's the problem. I do suggest looking at audiere http://audiere.sourceforge.net/ but it hasn't been maintained recently - stopped sometime in 2006, but it appears people are still using it with some success.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Yeah, I came across Audiere a while ago, but it seemed inactive and it had no MacOSX support. It does have pitch shift, however, and after 3 minutes of Googling, I found a patch for a SDL backend (which means MacOSX support).
tido
Prole

Post by tido »

I woke up and just thought of it:

Code: Select all

if (SDLSound)
	load(SDLSound);
else
	load(PCSpeaker);
:D
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

I think the sdl mixer is good and enough. Multiplying the dependencies will make löve less KISS, especially if it's for the inclusion of old unmaintained things.

Just muting the game if there is no sound card would be enough too (like on several other sdl project, like pygame I think)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

farvardin wrote:Multiplying the dependencies will make löve less KISS.
I disagree. As long It's possible to create a statically linked version of LÖVE (which can make distribution of games a one-click solution), only the best possible libraries should be picked to depend on.
farvardin wrote:especially if it's for the inclusion of old unmaintained things.
This makes sense though.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)