Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
tio
Citizen

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by tio »

You can pass the complete file path on command:

Code: Select all

copy /b c:\path\to\love.exe+c:\path\to\your\game.love c:\path\to\game.exe
passing only the file name makes it search on current folder and/or on PATH environment.
Bindie
Party member

Post by Bindie »

Last thing, possible to change the .exe icon?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

To my knowledge, yes, but only with some other program, like Resource Hacker for instance.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
gravyferry
Prole

Post by gravyferry »

I'm on a mac, I want to point out that if you're mac is fairly upto date (The free update on the app store) Then there's an easier way to make a zip folder, all you need to do is right click/highlight the file(s) you want to put in a .zip, then right click, press "compress". Then you're done, it will have made a .zip file, now viewing and editing the contents, you'll need a program for that. (I'm still looking for one, I'll be sure to edit this if I find one.)
tio
Citizen

Post by tio »

gravyferry wrote:I'm on a mac,(...) now viewing and editing the contents, you'll need a program for that. (I'm still looking for one, I'll be sure to edit this if I find one.)
For viewing .zip (or .love, whatever) contents, you can use Terminal:

zip -sf file.zip
where "file.zip" is your filename.

For adding files:

zip -r file.zip -i \*.lua
This will include all .lua files on current folder and all subfolders to file.zip (equal files on .zip will be updated)

For removing files:

zip -d file.zip file1 folder1/file1 folder1/file2 \*.o
This will remove "file1", "file1" and "file2" on "folder1" and all files that end with ".o" in all folders.

Just execute "man zip" on Terminal, it will give all "zip" commands :nyu:
voyager
Prole

Post by voyager »

Hello everyone, i have problem with making a exe file from love file. I have love file (game.love) which contains single main.lua Hello World script which is work as it should when i double click on it. But when i try to convert this file to exe, cmd file doing just nothing. Cmd window appears for a little moment and immediately disappears. im using this command:

copy /b C:\Program Files\LOVE\love.exe+C:\Program Files\LOVE\game.love C:\Program Files\LOVE\game.exe
tio
Citizen

Post by tio »

voyager wrote:Hello everyone, i have problem with making a exe file from love file. I have love file (game.love) which contains single main.lua Hello World script which is work as it should when i double click on it. But when i try to convert this file to exe, cmd file doing just nothing. Cmd window appears for a little moment and immediately disappears. im using this command:

copy /b C:\Program Files\LOVE\love.exe+C:\Program Files\LOVE\game.love C:\Program Files\LOVE\game.exe
After this, isn't there a "game.exe" file in LOVE folder?
voyager
Prole

Post by voyager »

Yeah, there is already a game.exe, but when i run it, it says "No game"
I just renamed my game.love to game1.love but there is still nothing after cmd window. Maybe i do something wrong from the begining? I saw some other games with love like Mari0 they have dll files in distros etc... i dont know realy.
tio
Citizen

Post by tio »

voyager wrote:Yeah, there is already a game.exe, but when i run it, it says "No game"
I just renamed my game.love to game1.love but there is still nothing after cmd window. Maybe i do something wrong from the begining? I saw some other games with love like Mari0 they have dll files in distros etc... i dont know realy.
It's always better to do these commands on command line (press Win+R, then type "cmd" without quotes, then hit Enter). It probably will show you some message if something goes wrong.
voyager
Prole

Post by voyager »

tio wrote:
voyager wrote:Yeah, there is already a game.exe, but when i run it, it says "No game"
It's always better to do these commands on command line (press Win+R, then type "cmd" without quotes, then hit Enter). It probably will show you some message if something goes wrong.

Wow, thank you, i did it in CMD and after adding "" to paths and it says 1 file copied!
And yep there is a game1.exe, but still it says no game after starting.