Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by TechnoCat »

And I assure you, it is not lower case.
notLowercase.png
notLowercase.png (60.95 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
EDIT:
adrywalsh wrote:apparently PNG gets force-uppercased when I package in my zip, then I cannot change file extensions in the zip...
Is there a way to zip the file without my windows hacking my things?
Try using a different archiver. Like 7zip, Peazip, or WinRAR.
Or you can even just change it to .PNG in your folders and then load all .PNG files.
adrywalsh
Prole

Post by adrywalsh »

yes, it's all about 7zip.
while (1)
do LÖVE
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

Here's my makefile if anyone is interested. It's generic so it can be dropped into any project (at the root of the project, next to main.lua).

Code: Select all

LOVE_FILE = ../$(shell basename `pwd`).love

main:
	zip -r $(LOVE_FILE) .

run: $(LOVE_FILE)
	love $(LOVE_FILE)

$(LOVE_FILE) :
	make

clean:
	rm $(LOVE_FILE)
make - Builds the project
make run - Runs the .love file (and builds it if it doesn't exist)
make clean - Deletes the .love file

The .love file will be named after your project directory and it will exist above your project directory. Also note that unless you're running something like cygwin you probably won't be able to use this on windows.
Divran
Prole

Post by Divran »

Hello! I recently discovered löve and I'm liking it a lot. I came here to find out of there was a simpler way to create the .love files other than zipping it 50000 times, and I found this:
Skofo wrote:Also, I made a lovely bash script which you can simply put inside your project folder and run it to easily make a .love file out of the directory, conveniently excluding the script itself. http://willhostforfood.com/files4/6468604/lovify.sh
But the link is dead :(
If anyone can re-upload it that'd be great.
Thanks.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Well, you can run a folder as well, no need for you to make a .love every time. Yet, since you asked for it I will write you one (not that hard), I'll post again when I have finished it.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Okay, here it is:

#!/bin/bash

NAME=$(basename `pwd`).love
if [ "$1" != "-u" ]; then
	rm $NAME
fi
zip $NAME `find -not -wholename "./$(basename $0)"`
As you can see, if you specify the -u option it will update the .love instead of removing it and creating it again.
Divran
Prole

Post by Divran »

I'm assuming that's a BAT file, but I've never tried coding BAT before. When I put that code into a txt and rename it to something.bat, and click it, NOTHING (Edit: A black window pops up for 1/10th of a second) happens. Please write a quick tutorial on how to use it. Thanks again.

Edit: And what do you mean by "specify the -u option"?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It is a bash script.. you can't run those on windows (well, you can..), writing a batch file is a lot harder, as windows has no inbuilt zip command, and has no good shell commands at all really.
What you might want to do though is write something like this:

"C:\Program Files\LOVE\love.exe" .
Change the path if the path to love is different. While it will not package it for you, it will run it for you.
Divran
Prole

Post by Divran »

Where do I put that path? And that path will only launch love.exe, and not my game.

Edit: I was thinking I might be able to create a shortcut to love.exe, and add something to the "target" line to run my game, but I don't know what to add.

Edit2: On a side note, I've also noticed my clouds sometimes go slower and sometimes faster for no apparent reason. I've also noticed my cannon balls randomly get a boost in linear speed in the X direction for no apparent reason. Any idea how to fix it without getting my code? :S
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Divran wrote:I was thinking I might be able to create a shortcut to love.exe, and add something to the "target" line to run my game, but I don't know what to add.
Run love as

C:\Path\to\love\ C:\Path\to\game\
(example)
To make it easier, run a command (I believe you can press Win+R), type "cmd" (without the quotes), press enter. Next, type in the black window that appeared "cd C:\path\to\game" (without the quotes), hit enter. They you can run your game by typing "love ." (again, without the quotes) and hitting enter.
If this doesn't work, replace that last one by

"C:\Path\to\love" .
(WITH the quotes -- it matters if there is a space in the path.
Divran wrote:Edit2: On a side note, I've also noticed my clouds sometimes go slower and sometimes faster for no apparent reason. I've also noticed my cannon balls randomly get a boost in linear speed in the X direction for no apparent reason. Any idea how to fix it without getting my code? :S
No. Sorry, but it's in most cases impossible to tell what is going on without the source. The first one (the clouds) might be due to not using dt.
Help us help you: attach a .love.