MySQL?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Re: MySQL?

Post by BlackBulletIV »

schme16 wrote:despite the 'keep it simple' attitude thats forming in the comments here, I still think its a great idea to have SQL available to use; Mind you, I use JSON to save my tables and such
Of course. If you're doing a large RPG or MMO I'm sure it'd be quite necessary to have a database.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

BlackBulletIV wrote:
schme16 wrote:despite the 'keep it simple' attitude thats forming in the comments here, I still think its a great idea to have SQL available to use; Mind you, I use JSON to save my tables and such
Of course. If you're doing a large RPG or MMO I'm sure it'd be quite necessary to have a database.
If you're making an MMO, the database wouldn't be on the client side (and the client would never be in direct contact with it). If you're making an RPG and require the user to install a DBMS, you're doing something wrong.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Yeah I know that, but for some reason I was thinking of a LOVE server side; but that would not be a good idea. As for an RPG, you could install DB system in an installer right? Not sure how that works for Linux though.

But anyway, unless the needs are really hardcore I think SQL isn't needed.
nevon

Post by nevon »

BlackBulletIV wrote:As for an RPG, you could install DB system in an installer right? Not sure how that works for Linux though.
On Linux you'd just add a dependency to whatever DBMS you wanted. But it would still be extremely strange. I suppose something like SQLite would be somewhat reasonable, but yeah, you'd have to do some pretty hardcore shit to necessitate using a database.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

*big red warning lights and sirens*
Freze
Prole

Post by Freze »

I never mentioned RPGs ;).
I'm going to need it to query a server, using MySQL. To get data, update data. Etcetera.
nevon

Post by nevon »

Freze wrote:I never mentioned RPGs ;).
I'm going to need it to query a server, using MySQL. To get data, update data. Etcetera.
That still seems like a really, really bad idea. What would be stopping me from editing your game to drop your entire database? It would be much better to keep the database handling on your server, and expose an API that your game can call.
Freze
Prole

Post by Freze »

It won't be a game. It'll be a managing tool for the ease of not browsing through shit. Just to make it easier. This. I'm not making a game off it.
nevon

Post by nevon »

Freze wrote:It won't be a game. It'll be a managing tool for the ease of not browsing through shit. Just to make it easier. This. I'm not making a game off it.
Oh, I see. In that case, I'm all for reinventing the wheel for shits and giggles.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

But why on earth would you do it in LOVE!? Or... are you just asking about plain Lua and not LOVE?