Documentation suggestions

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
u9_
Citizen

Documentation suggestions

Post by u9_ »

I guess this section is also for LOVE support and development, so here goes:

I think the documentation should better describe what values type actually can take on this and similar pages. In fact, everywhere a constant is used, a complete description would be appropriate, as there is visually not much difference between all the LOVE constants. One way of doing this is linking to the respective constants (however, currently they are all on the same page, which is a problem.)

Functions such as setColor() should describe the applicable range of their parameters, most importantly whether the values range from 0 to 1, or 0 to 255.
rude
Administrator

Re: Documentation suggestions

Post by rude »

Yeah, there is definitely room for improvement in the documentation. It's not that I don't understand its shortcomings, it's because I don't have enough time to update it (plus: I never manage to make a documentation generator I'm pleased with). I'm considering Wiki-fying the documentation, so that anyone can contribute. Is that a good idea?
Dr. Magnusson
Prole

Post by Dr. Magnusson »

I think that'd be the best way, but with the current information by default so we don't have to rewrite everything. Most of the functions have the information you need, while other such as love.graphics.polygon is a complete mystery unless you've used it before.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Hmm, yeah. I'm a little afraid of losing control, though. Maybe it only should be partially Wiki'd.
Dr. Magnusson
Prole

Post by Dr. Magnusson »

My understanding of the wiki system is that you can always revert to older versions and ban ips in case of vandalism. I doubt it'll be a problem. For extra safety you could have someone review the changes before they are applied.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

We can also require that users are logged in to edit. It's possible to integrate phpBB with Dokuwiki.

BUT: Would people be interested in contributing?
Mr. Strange
Party member

Post by Mr. Strange »

I would totally contribute. I like the format of the documentation, but we could totally stand to have some examples appended to many of the functions, especially some plain-english "why would I use this" discussion.

You could tier the wiki, such that anyone can adjust the comments / examples section, but only folks on a list could adjust the actual primary definition. You could even hold onto that for yourself.

--Mr. Strange
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Jesus ... that would require per-page access control. ;_;

(It's otherwise a good idea).
Mr. Strange
Party member

Post by Mr. Strange »

I believe twiki supports that. Not that I, generally, condone permissions for wikis.

--Mr. Strange
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

You can also just allow to post comment in each doc pages.
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)