Consistent speed

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
GungnirDev
Party member

Consistent speed

Post by GungnirDev »

http://www.2shared.com/file/404LNMCP/Invictus.html

I'm having trouble making this boss move at a consistent speed. I can speed it up or slow it down, but the bosses' movement always increases over time for some reason. This makes it very difficult to make the boss challenging but not frustrating. Suggestions?
Bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky
Bullets are the beauty and I don't know why
zorfmorf
Prole

Re: Consistent speed

Post by zorfmorf »

I just looked through your code, although as I couldn't test your game it was difficult to pinpoint the problem. As of now I would guess that the problem lies somewhere in the cron & AnAl combination you are using. I'll look into it this evening if I can find some time. If you (by chance) already fixed your problem, don't hesitate to mention it ;)
GungnirDev
Party member

Post by GungnirDev »

er...still haven't figured this one out. any guesses?
michikaze
Prole

Post by michikaze »

lol'd at 404 in url

100mb, too big for me to download, sorry
GungnirDev
Party member

Post by GungnirDev »

So...anyone?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Sorry, but it's a but hard to make out your code. There's a lot and it's unlabeled. You should split it up more. Move your boss stuff to its own file. Use more descriptive variables for its parameters.

Also optimze a lot better. You have a lot of HUGE image files and a lot of music. 100MB to keep testing is a bit much. You should code it so you can leave the big stuff out and have it still work so you can upload a much smaller file for testing. Also break your images up possibly. I noticed a lot of huge background images. Huge ones. Not everyone can support images near that size. 1024x1024 is an agreed upon safe size maximum. Make your images no bigger than that. Break them up if you have to and display them in portions by figuring out which parts are currently on screen and not drawing the offscreen ones.
GungnirDev
Party member

Post by GungnirDev »

Does that have anything to do with the speed? :huh:
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

No, because we can't make out your code. It's too much and not structured easy enough to figure out. It lacks some indentation that would make it cleaner. And there's a lot of it with vaguely named functions and variables.

The rest of my post was friendly advice that you should take heed of while it's still early in the development period. Also, 100MB is a lot for a debugging version.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

thesmeagle wrote:Does that have anything to do with the speed? :huh:
Jasoko's post is trying to help you get answers.

Clearly just bumping your thread doesn't work. It's not that we don't want to help you, it's that you are putting too many barriers for others to help you. If you remove them, you will get help.
  • Having a 100MB download is too much for a lot of people; make the download smaller. Remove the images that you don't use. If you are using sounds, replace all of them by a small mp3 file made out of silence, so the game works the same, just without sound.
  • Indent all your code properly, so people can examine it easily.
  • Separate your code into different files, grouping stuff by functionality, so people can "orientate themselves" in your code.
  • Try to give variables good names, so people know what to expect.
Help us help you.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Exactly. Also, the last three points on kikito's list will not just help us, but will also help Future You.
Help us help you: attach a .love.