[Tutorial] Code your games using iPhone

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
IndieKid
Citizen

[Tutorial] Code your games using iPhone

Post by IndieKid »

Good day, as topic says I will show you how you can simply code using iPhone or any other iOS device. I found this interesting for myself because I always think of coding. So here is my short tutorial.
Okay, so you can do this in several ways. Jailbreak will certanly help you. BUT(!) I'm not going to explain(or maybe I will but later) how you can do this using jailbroken iOS device. For those of you who use jailbreak I can tell that it will help you to get better software for coding.

You should have Dropbox account. If you don't click here. http://db.tt/B9nRNdEY
Let's begin. You need to download 2 apps for iOS:
-Dropbox(Free)
-iLuaBox(This is Code Editor. You can use other but I'm not sure if that will work. I use iLuaBox Pro)
Again you can try another code editor but I hardly recommend you using this one.
And you should have Dropbox on your PC.

[1st Step]
Set up Dropbox on PC where your code is. You will get "Dropbox" folder. Make a new folder inside it and call it "LÖVE"(or anything). Copy your project folder(which has main.lua) to "Dropbox/LÖVE". F.e. "Dropbox/LÖVE/My Game".

[2nd Step]
From iPhone's Dropbox app login to your Dropbox account. You should see "Dropbox" tab. In this tab there will be a previously created folder "LÖVE". Here we go.

[3rd Step]
In iLuaBox app tap "Input" -> "Open In..." -> "Open in Dropbox". Dropbox should open. You will see your file. Tap "Destination" -> "LÖVE" and you can choose wherever you'd like to put this .lua file.

DONE. Now you are be able to access this file from PC.

Bad is that you can't directly edit files in "LÖVE" folder on iPhone(with jailbreak I belive this is possible). The way you transfer files from PC to iPhone's Code Editor is copying text via E-Mail or something. Also there is no syntax for LÖVE functions in iLuaBox app, so you can't run scripts on iPhone. But you can code and this is good.

That's all. Thanks :nyu:

---------
P.S. I use Mac OS. So if something described wrong please tell me. Also feel free to ask whatever you misunderstood.
ejmr
Party member

Re: [Tutorial] Code your games using iPhone

Post by ejmr »

Nice info, thank you for sharing. How about running LÖVE on an iPhone? Any success there?
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

And you can also code directly on your Android device.

You will need:

1.- Any terminal emulator where you can run "zip -r -u myGame.love *lua"
2.- A text editor. I recommend Jota Editor
3.- LÖVE for Droid

Also I recommend having a better keyboard such as Hacker's Keyboard since it have mus more functionalities and allows the use of tab key and arrow keys in the terminal emulator.
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

ejmr wrote:Nice info, thank you for sharing. How about running LÖVE on an iPhone? Any success there?
You can't run LÖVE on iPhone for now. It's interesting that it is possible to write an engine LÖVE for iOS(for jailbroken devices of course).

This may be interesting: there is an engine for iOS called Corona that uses Lua as well. http://www.coronalabs.com/
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

Ubermann wrote:And you can also code directly on your Android device.

You will need:

1.- Any terminal emulator where you can run "zip -r -u myGame.love *lua"
2.- A text editor. I recommend Jota Editor
3.- LÖVE for Droid

Also I recommend having a better keyboard such as Hacker's Keyboard since it have mus more functionalities and allows the use of tab key and arrow keys in the terminal emulator.
Android users are more lucky. Android is much more open OS than iOS. Apple's policy doesn't allow developers to access the file system.
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

have anybody try DroidEdit? it even have Lua highlights

EDIT
Last edited by master both on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

IndieKid wrote: Android users are more lucky. Android is much more open OS than iOS. Apple's policy doesn't allow developers to access the file system.
Isn't there any custom firmware for iPhones or iPads ? That allows root permission and such.
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

Ubermann wrote:Isn't there any custom firmware for iPhones or iPads ? That allows root permission and such.
There is. "Jailbreak". It allows iOS(iPhones, iPods, iPads) users to fully access file system. There is a huge universe of jailbreak. And by the way it is legal in USA, Canada and most european countries.
For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking