What software/methods do you use to edit/run your code?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Kazagha
Prole

Re: What software/methods do you use to edit/run your code?

Post by Kazagha »

Robin wrote:
Kazagha wrote:It's pretty cool that you can run it directly from a directory without needing to package it into a .love file. I didn't know that. I think I will be doing it this way in the future.
Interesting. You're not the first to be surprised this is possible. Why would so many people not know this?
For me it's because you only ever seen games packaged in the .love format on the forums, so when I went to the wiki to get the low down (http://love2d.org/wiki/Game_Distribution) I just thought it was the only way.

I know that I read the 'getting started' page, for sure. Though I didn't see it.

-Kazagha
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Maybe it should feature a bit more prominent, to prevent tl;dr.

And, yeah, on the forum we only distribute .loves, because folders are a bit hard to upload. :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Kazagha
Prole

Post by Kazagha »

It was quite the reading comprehension failure on my part. I did read the bit about running it from the command line, I remember that but it didn't click.

Maybe a bold subheading under Windows, <Running from directory> and <Running from .love file>. Or a picture;
directory.gif
directory.gif (3.43 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
-Kazagha
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

Kazagha wrote:It was quite the reading comprehension failure on my part. I did read the bit about running it from the command line, I remember that but it didn't click.

Maybe a bold subheading under Windows, <Running from directory> and <Running from .love file>. Or a picture;
directory.gif
-Kazagha
That picture is awesome, we should put it on the wiki!
Socapex
Prole

Post by Socapex »

Reviving an old thread but it was really useful to me. Just setting up Love here, using Sublime Text... Those two have to work together :)

You can easily launch Love (and I've added the console for now) using the following sublime-build script. This will build all your LUA scripts using Love as default, so if you work in lua with other frameworks you would remove the "selector": "source.lua" line. More info on the build system.

Code: Select all

{
	"path": "c:\/Program Files (x86)\/love",
	"cmd": ["love", "--console", "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)"],
	"selector": "source.lua",
	"shell": "true"
}

Note this is for windows, I still have to give it a go under OSX but I'm sure it's as straight forward. Hope this helps someone as your tips on Notepad++ helped me. Spread the Sublime Love! :D