Should you get into programming if you hate maths n physics?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
onedaysnotice
Citizen

Should you get into programming if you hate maths n physics?

Post by onedaysnotice »

I hate math. I don't like it and it doesn't like me, and most of all I suck at it. I'm coming third last atm for advanced math, and everywhere I look, programming involves harder formulas than the ones I use at school. Same with physics. Every time I look at how to do collision detection and resolution I just want to cry. T_T I'm currently second in Software Design & Development however, hopefully soon to be first, but its more like Software Design & Documentation, so it doesn't count =_=

But on the other hand, I like seeing my ideas come to life. I like being able to mold and shape my game to how I see fit. I fantasize about the smiles of people when they play my game (cuz i haven't made any yet), and I to an extent like the challenge of coding to reach that point.

So, should I continue down this path of torture (for me), cuz I'm thinking of choosing Game Dev as my uni course when I leave high school. Will the turmoils of coding ease as I gain more experience, or will I just be confronted with harder and harder problems as I continue to delve into programming? :s Tough it out, or bail out?
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Should you get into programming if you hate maths n phys

Post by TechnoCat »

There is a great deal of programming that includes virtually no math. Games typically will use math, physics, and somewhat complex algorithms though.
dreadkillz
Party member

Post by dreadkillz »

It depends on what kind of field you go into with programming. The thing with making games on your own is that you have to deal with a lot of different aspects instead of relying on team members to deal with them, and some aspects are heavy on math. A lot of math and physics knowledge is needed when you're dealing with algorithms or modeling.

In my opinion, you should have some basic knowledge in logic,calculus, geometry, linear algebra, and probability. I highly recommend you take some math classes as electives when you go to college. Don't get discouraged! Remember, in real life, you're not in charge with doing and knowing everything. Leave the hard stuff to teammates (coworkers).
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Another thing to consider is that how high schools teach maths is not Real Maths. Real Maths is useful (for programming and for almost everything else in life) but high school maths generally isn't.

Also, being good or bad in high school maths, loving or hating it, those things don't mean you will be good or bad at Real Maths, or whether you will love it or hate it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

onedaysnotice wrote:I hate math. I don't like it and it doesn't like me, and most of all I suck at it.
First thing you must understand is that math is a very very useful thing to at least be familiar with, as a human being. It's a tool for your mind. By discarding it, you are like a Jedi saying "I hate lightsabers, I don't want to use them".

It is possible that you are genetically not able to "get" math. But it is also much more probable that you just have not had the appropiate exposure to it. It is in your own interest that you try other ways to learn it before discarding it completely.

Have you heard about Khan Academy? They have free, really concise videos (10 minutes long each) about lots of cool stuff. They are very well done. You can take a test to try your knowledge (they are called "practices"), but it is completely optional.

You could try something - watch one of those videos each day, for a week. If you don't at least start feeling differently about maths, then it's you. Otherwise it's that you didn't have the right teachers.

It's 10 minutes of your time, for 7 days. I think it's worth just to be sure that you are not missing something important.

Start with any topic you like. For example, trigonometry:

http://www.khanacademy.org/math/trigono ... igonometry
When I write def I mean function.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »