ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Giovifav
Prole

ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

Post by Giovifav »

hello,
after watching several videos where chatGPT suggests code i wanted to test his knowledge on lua and love2d. i asked him to suggest an idea for a game and asked for an example for love2d.
the suggested starting example is not correct but by suggesting where the errors were she was able to correct herself and create a working game.
the rule is never manually correct the code but suggest changes .
I attach the conversation and the file love .
what do you think?
chatG.png
chatG.png (792.7 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
Attachments
main.love
(942 Bytes) Downloaded 167 times
ivan
Party member

Re: ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

Post by ivan »

Yes, ChatGPT is a very impressive tool and reminds me of Wolfram Alpha which was mind-blowing when it was released.
Nevertheless, nothing beats the human mind in terms of creativity.

ChatGPT's source code seems to be a little too verbose for my liking (doesn't use locals and no overall structure which would not scale with larger projects).
It would be interesting to see if the AI could learn to optimize existing code or if it could be used for unit testing.
Last edited by ivan on Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovifav
Prole

Re: ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

Post by Giovifav »

yes i agree! it can't replace a human programmer but i think it is truly astounding the ability ( for a generic ai) to understand the context and give consistent and working answers!
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Good point, ChatGPT is very good in the way that it can process natural language.
My impression is that the AI is very good at explaining stuff, but I do not know if it can solve problems on its own.
Giovifav
Prole

Post by Giovifav »

the fact is that he knows nothing about what he is saying but semplicemnete has learned the relationships between words to create an argument with meaning. my point is not to extol his qualities but simply to point out how truthful his answers are. It scares me how in just a few years he is evolving into something like a human response. In relation to love2d I was amazed at how he could respond considering the fact that the community and available code is not that big.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Giovifav wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:48 pm In relation to love2d I was amazed at how he could respond considering the fact that the community and available code is not that big.
ChatGPT's developers scraped a lot of code and text they don't have the legal rights to use, but they use it anyway.

(Also I think anthropomorphizing a tool is a recipe for misconceptions about how the tool works.)
Giovifav
Prole

Post by Giovifav »

I had no intention of anthromorphizing the instrument. i think it is a mistake related to the fact that i use a translator to write in English
RNavega
Party member

Post by RNavega »

Unrelated question, how did you make that long screenshot of the ChatGPT convo? I have to manually stitch them using MS PAINT.
Andlac028
Party member

Post by Andlac028 »

I some browsers (for example Firefox I think), there is option to screenshot whole page
RNavega
Party member

Post by RNavega »

I use Firefox 84+, there is such an option, but even when choosing "Long screenshot", it still shows the text field and a dark overlay gradient that they have.

(Unless they did that on another browser, like Chrome or something like that, that was able to grab that huge screenshot at once.)