RPG Maker inspired tool

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Josepho
Prole

RPG Maker inspired tool

Post by Josepho »

Hi im Josepho and I have been working on a rpgmaker inspidered tool with the idea of using Love as the runner for the games it will produce. The development will be splitted in two parts.

The first one is going to be the map editor, the idea with this is to export maps to love2D and many other popular game development tools and the second one is the game editor which main idea is to use love2d as its engine to run the exported games.

When I decided to create this project was because I always love to use some parts of RPG maker but i was pissed my favourite one, the Rpgmaker 2003 was not multiplatform, I know that it exists things like easy rpg but another thing i dont like is the way how you code in rpgmaker, thats something that the final tool will completely change adding a visual scripting code more new and allowing to create functions directly on lua.

Anyway that last part is too much in the future, bear in mind i have been working on this tool for more than 2 years now and im still working on the mapper, im taking too much time cause i already work as a game designer for several big companies and i only can work on this on my spare time.

Well lets go with the interesting part, the gifs showing the feature that are code at this moment!

Hope you read the text so the gifs have time to load!

All RPGMAker 2003 autotiles system

Several maps management

A system that allows you to set as many layers as you want, plus area selection, plus animated tiles inside the editor

A pallete editor to set any kind of image as a palete for a map

You want to add new tiles to an already created pallete? no worries, you can do it without any image tool, ah it also allows any kind of tile size

Last versions of rpgmaker autotiles also covered

All tilesets prepared to work for unity? yes it also supports them. Even better than the unity itself, check closely how it organize the tiles, detects if tiny images are close so it cretes an area for them etc..

Hope you like it, long term the idea is to create the definitive 2d game tool, but I will start with the best tilemapper outthere :D or at least i ll try it

Ah about performance, rpgmaker only supports 500x500 maps long, here is a stress test with the tool for a map that was 5000x5000. You can see it on my twitter
https://twitter.com/josepho/status/1544806538002530304

Hope you like it!
Follow me on twitter @josepho
tsukulimer
Prole

Re: RPG Maker inspired tool

Post by tsukulimer »

Click Noice!
Good luck with your project
Error
forum.lua:666: attempt to call global 'users.tsukulimer.print_signature"' (a nil value)
Josepho
Prole

Post by Josepho »

tsukulimer wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:32 pm Click Noice!
Good luck with your project
Many thanks for your support! every encourage message I receive motivates me a lot to keep going. Its a really really hard project and I have very few time to dedicate to it

However! I have a new update, a collision system!

A collision system has been added to the tool. The feature contains the following:

User can create as many types of collisions as he wants
- Collisions uses assets imported in the tool, there is a limitation of 40x40 px per collision image
- When the user assigns a collision to a tile this collision is propagated to the map
- User can place tiles with collisions in different layers and it will propagate to the map as well, the rule is that the latest collision in the list is the one that rules the tile
- There is a collision view where the players can see the results of the collisions
- User can modify the collisions of a map independently from the collisions of the tiles, this is helpful to create hidden passages and that kind of things
- Another cool feature derived from this one is that users can see the state of the chipset pallete without creating a map if they tap on the collision option in profiles which can be very useful

HEre is a video with it!
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Is this going to be open source? If so, I'll contribute. I've done a lot of work on stuff like this myself, trying to get my own generic game making tool out there, (specifically rpg based)
Josepho
Prole

Post by Josepho »

Hello, the editor is not going to be open source, but the idea is that the code that runs the games will be open source, i want to make business with the tool so making it open source will go against this idea.

Apart from it, today i bring you a new update! The tool now exports to Love2d already, here is a video on how fast is to bring a map to love2D right now. This is almost one of the final features, im still remaining to make it able to export to a couple of extra platforms before its release. My idea is to release the tile editor as a standalone program to fund the development of the final tool, without funds im afraid i wont be able to develop more than tile editor cause it takes a lot of my free time to do this and i also want to make games.

Anyway here is the video, check this out, rpgmaker maps in love2d in less than a minute! ;)